Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Trial bus service from Century Park LRT Station to the Edmonton International Airport could start as early as this fall. Let’s get it done!
- Epcor Tower was topped off at 490 feet this week, Edmonton’s first new downtown office tower in 20 years. With flagpoles it’ll edge out Manulife Place to be the tallest building in Edmonton.
- A new group calling itself Envision Edmonton announced it has proposal for the City Centre Airport lands this week. They want to keep it open. Their website will be up next week apparently (who launches without a website) but you can follow them on Twitter here.
- Scott McKeen wrote a great article on the airport this week, calling it a dead issue and imploring everyone to move on. I couldn’t agree more. One more ECCA link, this time from CTV – Everybody wants a piece of Mark Rosentraub.
- Edmontonians magazine announced this week that the June issue will be its last.
- Mobile users can now interact with the Edmonton Journal in a new way – they launched 2D barcodes throughout the newspaper this week.
- Tuesday was proclaimed World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
- The Edmonton Police Service is looking to increase the number of female officers it employs, and has launched a new website to support the initiative.
- Also from EPS: the 2009 Annual Report to the Community.
- Former City Councillor and local architect Gene Dub had a freelance piece on the proposed downtown arena published in the Edmonton Journal today.
- Here’s the Edmonton Startup Index for June 2010.
- The inflation of Canada’s largest energy-efficient dome at the Edmonton Waste Management Centre brings “closed-loop recycling” to Edmonton.
- We’re up over 8000 active monthly Twitter users in Edmonton! My latest stats post is here.
- The dome of the Alberta Legislature will undergo a $6.1 million facelift starting this summer.
- Check out The Way We Green, and then complete the project’s second survey!
- For more headlines from the past week, check out theedmontonian.com.
- FC Edmonton has another game tomorrow, this time against Colo Colo.
- There’s an important public hearing taking place on Monday! Council will be discussing the final draft of the Capital City Downtown Plan, and groups like Edmonton Next Gen will be presenting.
- On Wednesday the Aerotropolis Symposium is taking place out in Nisku.
- Head over to Enterprise Square on Thursday for Be Her or Support Her, an event promoting and helping female candidates in the upcoming municipal election.
- Every Thursday evening this summer, Latitude 53 is hosting its Rooftop Patio Series.
- The Edmonton International Jazz Festival kicks off on Thursday evening (on ShareEdmonton).
- The Works Art & Design Festival starts Friday (on ShareEdmonton).
- Will it be Taylor or Tyler? Find out at Rexall Place at the Edmonton Oilers Draft Central Party on Friday!
- Next weekend is Startup Weekend in Edmonton (on ShareEdmonton)!
It was another beautiful & busy day at the City Market today!
Also downtown today was the first ever Park(ed) – Car Free Day: