Here is my latest update on local media stuff:
- Jasmine Franklin has left the Edmonton Sun to startup her own thing! She now has a freelance media company called Jasmine Franklin Media, and she’ll also serve as “a political sidekick for an Edmonton city councillor.”
- They take a lot of work, but I love it when bloggers write a series of posts on a topic. Check out Kendall’s Edmonton Wedding Guide over at City and Dale.
- On Friday, Telus’ new 4G LTE wireless network went live here in Edmonton. As long as you have a capable device, you can take advantage of the network – there are no new rate plans or premium charges. Learn more at http://telusmobility.com/4GLTE.
- In the latest episode of The Unknown Studio, Scott & Adam talk to Alex Abboud about being the Edmonton Journal’s blogger-in-residence.
- Some love for local fashion bloggers, and in particular, local male fashion bloggers!
- Marty Forbes checks in on retired NHL Hall-of-Fame broadcaster Rod Phillips: “Rod’s doing well…and really enjoying his retirement.”
- Taste Alberta is hiring a manager here in Edmonton. The closing date for applications was February 8, so it’ll be interesting to see who gets the job.
- Their website is down right now, so I can’t get to the actual post, but Alberta Venture is hiring an editorial intern.
- Pretty interesting story from Jay Palter: “It all started with a call from a national reporter about a week before the new census data was released. She mentioned that she’d seen my blog (this one) and wanted to ask me some questions about our move from Toronto to Edmonton.”
- 48 Hours aired their episode ‘Screenplay for Murder’ on the Mark Twitchell case on Saturday. Read more here.
- Here’s an update from Avenue Edmonton on the push for an SCTV Monument.
- Yikes, that’s not a very happy headline: This time, the CBC cuts will be noticeable. Not sure how Edmonton will be impacted.
- The half hour series Come Dine With Me Canada is coming to Edmonton. No word on when exactly, but you can apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-866-598-2591.
- On February 3, CBC hosted a forum on downtown safety, which you can watch here. The panel featured Acting Supt. Tony Harder of Edmonton Police, Kyle Dube, executive director of You Can, Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel, Jan Fox, executive director of Reach Edmonton and Chris Buyze, president of the Downtown Edmonton Community League.
- Some cool news for Gord Steinke – he has been appointed Honourary Lieutenant Colonel of the 15th Edmonton Field Ambulance, part of the 41st Canadian Brigade Group. You can learn more about the 15th Field Ambulance here.
- The mystery of the “red scarf” billboards has been solved. After much speculation, it turns out the billboards are part of a new advertising campaign for Now! 102.3 FM.
Photo courtesy of West Edmonton Local.
- Well tomorrow is Valentines Day, so why not enjoy some Valentines for Journalists, courtesy of 10000 Words! Oh what geeky fun.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!