Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Winter is back! Apparently more snow fell in the last 24 hours than has fallen all season long! A parking ban has been declared – all vehicles must be removed from residential bus routes by 7 AM.
- All of that snow made illumiNITE even better though. The event featured a number of temporary light sculptures in the Alley of Light on 104 Street. Check out Stu’s blog post for more.
- If you zoom in on West Edmonton Mall using Google Maps on your Android device, you’ll now be able to see a detailed floor plan and can navigate your way through the gigantic mall. WEM is the first Canadian venue to partner with Google on supporting indoor places on Google Maps.
- There will be no Capitals baseball at Telus Field this year, as the team withdrew from the North American League this week citing the plummeting participation of other teams. So, what are we going to use Telus Field for? Here’s one idea – a 100 team slow-pitch tournament.
- Here’s a wonderful profile of everyone’s favorite LRT driver, Tim Mireault. You know, the airline pilot driver!
- Edmonton and Kamloops are finalists to host the 2015 Panamerican Junior Athletics Championships, and will face off in May to determine who wins.
- The Frequency rave party took place last weekend at the Shaw Conference Centre, the first test of Council’s recent demand that such events curb alcohol and drug abuse.
- Have you noticed your bus ride is a little full? ETS is dealing with some overcrowded routes.
- It’s amazing to me that police received 41 calls last year about over-sized vehicles causing backups at or near the High Level Bridge.
- I guess it had to happen sooner or later – Edmonton’s first homicide of 2012.
- There’s $10,000 on the table for an Edmonton film-maker! The deadline for submissions for the inaugural Edmonton Film Prize is March 30.
- I love this Edmonton pride – you can get an “e-town” baseball cap at Foosh!
- The Edmonton Eskimos reported a net profit of $473,471 in 2011 and are confident that the loss of Ricky Ray won’t hurt them financially.
- Moving slowly ahead on the southeast LRT, but how to pay for it?
- What do you think, is the Talus Dome located in the right place? I agree that it’s interesting to see how many Edmontonians are interested in debating the issue.
Though I’m sure you’ve seen it by now, the Shit Edmontonians Say video was the talk of town this week so I’ve got to include it here:
Little heavy on the hockey, but I guess that is an accurate portrayal of Edmonton!
Here are some upcoming events:
- The inaugural First Nations Conference on Sustainable Buildings & Communities takes place at the River Cree starting Wednesday.
- Feminist Edmonton presents Feminism Week, starting March 1. Learn more here!
- The Oilers have two home games this week, on Wednesday against St. Louis and on Friday against Dallas.
- The Oil Kings also have a pair of home games, hosting Swift Current on Saturday and Saskatoon on Sunday.
- The Jam Union Art House Party & NextGen Social takes place on Thursday evening at the Artery.
- Downtown Dining Week starts March 2!
- Early heads up that there is a good old fashioned #yegtweetup scheduled for March 10!
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.