Urban beekeepers are buzzing in Edmonton now that City Council has given the green light to a pilot project that will allow hives in backyards within city limits. On July 7, the Community Services Committee approved the pilot with urgency, pushing for the rules against urban beekeeping to come to an end. The City will now undertake a pilot and will report back with recommended bylaw changes in early 2015.
Bee in a Peony by Martin Male
The battle to keep bees has been going on for quite some time and given that numerous other cities allow urban beekeeping, this decision was seen by many as long overdue. Importantly, it’s another recommendation from Fresh that will see implementation, and it’s a sign from Council that they are serious about food and agriculture in Edmonton.
Here’s an audio story about the news:
- Community Services Report: Urban Beekeeping Pilot Project
- City council approves backyard bee pilot – Edmonton Journal
- Urban beekeeping project could have Edmonton abuzz – Edmonton Journal
- Edmonton urban beekeepers buzzing into new hobby – Metro
- Bold beekeepers buck city bylaw – CBC
- Edmonton District Beekeeper’s Association
- YEG Bees
- Pest Management Backyard Resources