Hope you’re all having a great summer so far! Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- Sounds like there won’t be another season of Oil Change this year. Here’s what Matt Henderson had to say about it: “What the documentary captured wasn’t the Oilers rising out of the ashes like a Phoenix, it was incompetence and embarrassment night after night. And, rightfully, the series has been put out of its misery. At least for now.”
- Here’s a feature on 100.3 The Bear’s Jessica Jackson, who can be heard on air from 10am to 3pm.
- Congrats to Otiena – she’s now the breaking news reporter at the Journal!
- Remember that Apple Christmas ad that was filmed in Edmonton? It has been nominated for a Creative Arts Emmy!
- The Cold Lake Sun is looking for a multimedia journalist who can write, take photos, and use social media. The deadline to apply is July 30.
- The St. Alberta Gazette has an opening for an assistant editor. “The assistant editor is a key cog in the Gazette’s newsroom of 12, which includes two full-time photographers.” The deadline to apply is August 5.
- The Spruce Grove Examiner is looking for a sports editor to join the team. The deadline to apply is August 8.
- In television, CTV Edmonton is looking for a reporter/anchor (closes August 8), and Citytv Edmonton is looking for an assignment editor (closes August 4).
- For more job opportunities and an update on recent media moves, check out Marilyn’s July roundup.
- Issue 6 of The Pulp magazine is now online!
- Did anyone make it to Chuck Frank’s garage sale over the weekend? Apparently he has been collecting radios since he was a teenager and has over 1000 antique electronics. Probably an interesting story to go with each one too.
- Here’s another 630 CHED aircheck.
- There’s lots of good stuff in the latest episode of The Press Gallery. One of the topics covered is the publication ban on identifying children who die when in the care of the Province.
- Catch up on everything that’s happened in the world of social media with Linda’s latest roundup.
- Can Reddit find a way to earn revenue without alienating its entire audience? That’s a hard question. It’s a very unique community, and will likely need a unique approach.
- Don’t miss Karen’s latest roundup of the best local blog posts from the past week.
Stacey Brotzel in the hot seat!
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!