Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- You’ve no doubt come across the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge by now. My favorite is probably Bill Gates, but local media celebs have started participating too. Here’s Global Edmonton’s Gord Steinke, CTV Edmonton’s Josh Classen, CTV Morning Live’s Rob Williams and Kim Wynn, Virgin 104.9′s Beckler, Breakfast Television’s Bridget Ryan, and Global Edmonton’s Mike Sobel. Who have I missed? While we’re on the subject, TSN’s James Duthie had a pretty epic photoset too.
- Well, it turns out that TV show featuring Mike Nickel didn’t go away just because the crowdfunding campaign failed. To The Point with Mike Nickel appears to be a thing, with the pilot episode coming September 2. For some reason, Kathleen Smith (KikkiPlanet) and Dan St. Pierre are also involved (not to mention cameos by Thomas Lukaszuk and Raj Sherman). Here’s more on the video series in the Journal. And here’s the video:
- Faces of Edmonton recently featured Paul, a camera operator for Global Edmonton. They also featured CBC Edmonton’s Mark Connolly.
- On a related note, I’m a little surprised at how much attention Faces of Edmonton received from the local media, especially considering it isn’t a new idea, even in Edmonton. Is it just because summer is slow? Now I see there’s another project called Humans of Edmonton getting mentioned.
- Allison Salz has left the Edmonton Sun to work in communications for Sturgeon County. No word yet on whether or not someone is taking over the social media column.
- I always enjoy blogger meetups, so I was happy to read about the social media mavens meet-up that Holly and Jenna hosted.
- The Edmonton Journal is once again recruiting for its community advisory board. There are six openings this year. You have until September 7 to apply, with the first meeting taking place on October 9.
- Via Elise, I came across this awesome job posting for a reporter at the Lac La Biche Post. “Come for the scanners, stay for the lakes, live for the news.”
- Avenue Edmonton is looking for a full-time associate editor! The deadline to apply is August 22.
- The Spruce Grove Examiner is looking for a Sports Editor.
- With the Edmonton Marathon coming up this weekend, “Reporter on the Run” Otiena Ellwand looks back on 15 weeks of training.
- Capital Ideas Edmonton is hosting their 30th event at the Edmonton Journal on Wednesday!
- Want to learn about Twitter? Linda is teaching a course this fall called Twitter for Beginners! Also, don’t miss her latest social media notes.
- Have you seen any media-related Fringe shows? The Coffee Cup Show caught my eye because it takes place in an actual coffee shop, and I see it features an “emotionally wounded journalist looking for attention” as well as an aspiring writer.
- Here is Karen’s latest roundup of local blog posts you should read!
- StreamOn is an Edmonton-based company that helps “300+ customer radio stations throughout Canada, the United States, and other parts of the world” build their online audiences. They have just signed a deal with Limelight to use their content delivery and cloud storage platform.
- Did you catch Breakfast Television today? They went back in time. Here’s the trailer they released recently to promote it:
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!