After a massive 7-1 victory tonight at Rogers Place the Oilers have forced a Game 7 against the Ducks. Exciting times!
Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Edmonton has been selected to host the 2018 Cities and Climate Change Science Conference next March. “The event promises to be a pivotal milestone in developing the global understanding of how climate change will impact cities and the role of cities in tackling climate change.”
- Our first What the Truck?! event of the season is coming up on Mother’s Day at Northlands from 12-7pm. We hope to see you there! Here’s the lineup and here is Liane Faulder on what’s new this year plus some tips for first-time attendees. We have also shared some details on our plans for the rest of the season.
- It has been so great to see the downtown bike network take shape over the last couple of weeks! Learn more about the project here.
- A few hundred people marched against safe-injection sites this weekend, but Rev. James Holland, who has led Sacred Heart Church of the First Peoples on 96th Street at 108th Avenue for 22 years, is in favor of the sites.
- Andrea Burkhart will be EndPovertyEdmonton’s first Executive Director when she joins the organization next month. She has spent the last six years as founding Executive Director of ACTAlberta, the Action Coalition on Human Trafficking Alberta Association.
- FC Edmonton is running a contest for minor soccer teams to win tickets to an upcoming home match!
- CBC has a nice feature on Edmonton pop singer Ruth B. “I’m from Edmonton,” she worried. “How was anybody ever going to hear about me?”
- Another season of construction is now underway at Blatchford. “The work planned for the first part of 2017 includes installation of storm, sanitary and water servicing as well as piping for the district energy sharing system. Once the deep utilities have been installed, the project team can move forward with Stage 1 local road construction.”
- The City has extended the deadline for non-profit groups interested in leasing space at MacEwan West until May 18 at 4pm.
- Warmer weather means motorcycles will soon be a common sight on city streets! May is motorcycle safety month in Alberta.
- Today was the kickoff for the 30th anniversary of River Valley Clean Ups! Help keep one of our city’s best assets clean.
- Candace Makowichuk is the City of Edmonton Cemeteries’ artist-in-residence. Here’s an interview at the Latitude 53 blog.
- After originally announcing a date later in the month, City-owned grass sports fields are now open to all users as of Monday, May 8.
- The City is turning the alleyway between 104 Street and 105 Street just north of Whyte Avenue into a public plaza and now they’ve teamed up with the Old Strathcona Business Association and Edmonton Naming Committee to hold a contest to name the space. Submit your name to the Name That Alley competition by May 18.
- Nathan Fillion was in Edmonton this week and had some fun hiding signed t-shirts around the city.
- For more recent headlines, check out ShareEdmonton.
- Capital Ideas bids farewell with a final event for members on Tuesday evening at the ATB Entrepreneur Centre in Edmonton.
- Head over to the Fantasyland Hotel on Wednesday afternoon for the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organization’s AGM.
- Game 7 goes Wednesday night! The Oilers are once again holding the Orange Crush Watch Party at Rogers Place. Game time is TBD, but tickets go on sale at 11am on Tuesday.
- Want to learn how to sell to the City of Edmonton? They’re holding a free 90 minute session on Thursday at City Hall to go through all the details.
- Another season of the 124 Street Grand Market kicks off on Thursday! This year they’re back to the original location at 108 Avenue.
- Evolving Infill will also be at City Hall on Thursday evening with a discussion on next steps.
- Startup Edmonton is celebrating five years in the historic Mercer Warehouse with a special event on Thursday evening!
- The Edmonton Gem & Mineral Show takes place at the Shaw Conference Centre from Friday through Sunday.
- Councillor Michael Walters is launching his re-election campaign on Saturday morning at the Yellowbird Community League.
- The City’s annual Get Ready in the Park event is coming up on Saturday at Hawrelak Park from 10am to 4pm.
- The Edmonton edition of the Alberta Bike Swap takes place on Saturday at the Edmonton Expo Centre.
- Sunday is our food truck kickoff at Northlands! Hope to see you there!
- Looking to get organized? Save the date: there’s a KonMari workshop coming up in Edmonton on May 27.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.