Welcome to the eighth State of the Edmonton Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Edmonton. You can see last month’s stats here.
The source of the data this month is the same as last, primarily Twitter Search but also from Twitter directly. If a user has his or her location set to Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Leduc, Nisku, Stony Plain, Fort Saskatchewan, Beaumont, Spruce Grove, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered an Edmontonian.
For August 2009:
# of local users: 5365 (an increase of 232 from July)
To clarify, that means there were 5365 users who posted at least one tweet in August 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Edmontonian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Edmonton users without their location set.
Here are the rest of the stats for August 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 206318
# of tweets by local users containing #yeg: 12808 (6.2%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 72060 (34.9%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 41015 (19.9%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 9947 (4.8%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 6828 (3.3%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates. I’m pretty impressed by the rise of UberTwitter:
And by popular demand, a new stat this month! Here are the number of local users by community (besides Edmonton itself) for August:
Keep in mind that is based entirely on the text inside the location field of the user’s profile, and is definitely a minimum. Still, gives you an idea of the breakdown.
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): bevurlee, AndyGroenink, GeneralTekno, talhaz, rubixcubeman, iRAMMEENN, angelzilla, lessthanfive, HowardJaymes, paulagroenink
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): bevurlee, britl, angelzilla, lessthanfive, ZoomJer, garrymullen, Sirthinks, adampatterson, bingofuel, stygldpnyby
- Nearly 51% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 4.6 tweets per minute in August, compared with 4.7 per minute in July.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was August 19th at 8185. On average, 6655 tweets were posted each day (compared with 6780 in July).
- Of the 72060 replies posted by local users this month, 26924 or 37.3% were to other local users.
- A total of 890 local users posted 50 times or more this month. In comparison, 997 local users posted just once this month.
A little bit of growth this month, but not much. It’s the summer, after all! Hopefully that means everyone was outside enjoying everything Edmonton has to offer. Growth in September should be higher.
Since January, I have identified just over 10,400 local users. The number above, 5365, is how many of them were active in August.
I’ll have the Calgary stats posted in the next couple of days!