Welcome to the tenth State of the Calgary Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Calgary. You can see last month’s stats here.
The source of the data this month is the same as last, primarily Twitter Search but also from Twitter directly. If a user has his or her location set to Calgary, Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered a Calgarian.
For December 2009:
# of local users: 7122 (a decrease of 346 from November)
To clarify, that means there were 7122 users who posted at least one tweet in December 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Calgarian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Calgary users without their location set or that were not captured for some other reason.
Here are the rest of the stats for December 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 324614
# of tweets by local users containing #yyc: 11949 (3.7%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 102959 (31.7%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 89063 (27.4%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 20040 (6.2%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 12294 (3.8%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Here are the ten users who posted the most locally tagged tweets (#yyc, #yyctraffic, #Calgary, etc.; most tweets first): FlamesTix, WeatherCalgary, C_DIG, a_picazo, donnamct, nscafe, that_angela, lonnietaylor, paulinate, bettybubble
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): izzynobre, ProtruckR, SalBarguil, nscafe, gengenw, FlamesTix, Kristinnuendo, MrRockNRoll, alex_ruiz, opiatedsherpa
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): alex_ruiz, that_angela, gotkube, C_DIG, Eves1, alexflint, ang_J, ReaFaceToFace, wintr
- Just over 50% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 7.3 tweets per minute in December, compared with 7.3 per minute in November.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was December 4th at 13160. On average, 10472 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 10486 in November).
- Of the 102959 replies posted by local users this month, 27586 or 26.8% were to other local users.
- A total of 1255 users posted 50 times or more in December. In comparison, 962 users posted just once.
As with Edmonton, there was a drop in users this month, no doubt due to the holidays. Christmas Day had the lowest number of tweets posted, at just 7086, but it picked up again by New Year’s Eve. Very interesting this month to see the jump in tagged tweets, from 2.6% too 3.7% or an increase of about 3900 tweets. Calgary finished 2009 with roughly 2 times as many active users than in March (the first month I recorded stats) and roughly 2.2 times as many tweets being posted each month.
Since March, I have identified just over 18,000 local users. The number above, 7122, is how many of them were active in December.
The 2009 year in review stats are coming soon, stay tuned!