Welcome to the second State of the Ottawa Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Ottawa, ON. You can see last month’s stats here.
For information on the data, definitions, and other background, click here.
For February 2010:
# of local users: 9366 (an increase of 804 from January)
# of tweets by local users: 452190
# of tweets by local users containing #ottawa/#yow: 2719 (0.6%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 161654 (35.7%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 109478 (24.2%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 25947 (5.7%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 13205 (2.9%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Just under 50% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 11.2 tweets per minute in February (compared to 9.6 tweets per minute in January).
- The day with the most local tweets posted was February 28 at 23063. On average, 16150 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 13750 in January).
- Of the 161654 replies posted by local users this month, 45323 or 28.0% were to other local users.
- A total of 1732 users posted 50 times or more in January. In comparison, 1461 users posted just once.
Here are the top ten most followed local users:
Here are the top ten most listed local users:
Here are the top ten most active local users:
Here are the top ten most replied to local users:
As with the other Canadian cities, the busiest day in February in Ottawa was the 28th due to the gold medal hockey game. The second busiest was the 12th, the day of the opening ceremonies for the Olympics. The growth in the Ottawa twittersphere this month is similar to that of Calgary. Still a severe lack of tagged tweets though!