I think it’s fair to say that the public hearing on the proposed arena deal was the talk of Twitter in Edmonton today. Here’s my quick analysis of all arena-related tweets posted by Edmonton users today between 9:30am and 9:30pm.
A word cloud of the 4500+ tweets:
Here’s a breakdown of tweets per minute (you can clearly see the lunch and dinner breaks):
- Thanks largely to the arena-related tweets, more than 44,000 tweets were posted by Edmontonians today. That works out to an average of about 31 tweets per minute.
- More than 800 different users posted at least one arena-related tweet.
- On average, 6.3 arena-related tweets were posted per minute between 9:30am and 9:30pm. The peak was 24.
- Roughly 17% of the tweets were replies to other users.
- Roughly 25% of the tweets were retweets.
Here are the top 20 most active local users (most tweets to least):
Here are the top 20 most retweeted local users (by other local users, most retweeted to least):
- tedgbauer & alexabboud
Council voted to deal with the issue at 9:30am tomorrow (Wednesday). You can watch or listen live here.