Happy New Year! In case you missed the celebration, here was my view of the countdown to 2014 in Churchill Square:
Here’s a collection of some Edmonton-related lists and year-in-review articles for 2013. I’ll keep adding to the list as I find more, so let me know what I have missed.
- From the City of Edmonton, here are the top 20 news stories of 2013. There’s a poll at the bottom for you to have your say on which will have the biggest impact in 2014.
- From the University of Alberta, here are the top 13 stories of 2013. Also, a team from the University of Alberta contributed to the IceCube Collaboration, named the 2013 Breakthrough of the Year by Physics World magazine.
- Gig City named Don Iveson the Edmontonian of the Year. Then they held a poll for second place. Also, don’t miss their roundup of 2013 news.
- Don Iveson’s AMA on Reddit was the most popular item in the Edmonton subreddit over the last year.
- Here are the top stories of 2013 on the Edmonton Journal’s website. Number 9 was probably my favorite. The Journal also has a collection of red-letter quotes, and an editorial: Do 2013 opinions hold up?
- Here are the Edmonton Sun’s top stories of 2013.
- From CTV Edmonton: looking back at 2013 in Edmonton and looking back at Alberta in 2013.
- Here’s a year-in-review from Spacing Edmonton. They highlighted local heritage, the Molson Redevelopment, the downtown arena, the election, and Make Something Edmonton.
- Here is Paula Simons’ list of the Edmonton newsmakers of 2013.
- Music fan? Here are Aaron Vanimere’s favorites of 2013 over at #yegmusicclub. Also, don’t miss the best albums and best songs of 2013.
- Also on the topic of music, here are Gig City’s top 3 concerts of 2013. And here is Sandra Sperounes’ musical high notes from 2013.
- And a forward-looking music article: Edmonton will be concert-central in 2014.
- Hungry? Vue Weekly’s Scott Lingley wrote about his gastronomic delights of 2013. And here is a tasty look back at 2013 from Valerie Lugonja.
- The Tomato’s Mary Bailey says that 2013 was the year of the independent restaurant in Edmonton.
- Here is Sharon’s recap of food in Edmonton for 2013.
- From David Climenhaga, here are Alberta’s 13 most under-reported political news stories of 2013.
- Here is Alberta’s 2013 by the numbers. It’s a fun read from Graham Thomson. And on the topic of Alberta, here are 6 lessons 2013 brought to Alberta by the Huffington Post.
- From Dave Cournoyer: Why none of Alberta’s 87 MLAs deserved to be listed as a top MLA of 2013. He also took a look at how big city mayors factored into Alberta politics in 2013.
- Here is the Edmonton Journal’s annual look at homicide in Edmonton in 2013. There were 29 confirmed homicide victims this year. Here is the analysis from the Edmonton Sun. CTV Edmonton also did a segment on the year in crime.
- Want to check out some photos? The Edmonton Sun has a bunch of lists: Reader Pictures of the Year, Tom Braid’s Pictures of the Year, Perry Mah’s Pictures of the Year, and oddly, people and their cats. They’ve also got some photos of the New Year’s Eve celebration in Churchill Square.
- The St. Albert Leader has a 2013 Year in Review published month-by-month.
- It hasn’t been a good year for the Edmonton Oilers. Here are looks back from OilersNation and from Copper & Blue.
- Looking for a little fashion inspiration? Check out Vickie’s Top 13 of 2013.
- From the Edmonton Real Estate Blog, here’s a look back at 2013.
- Here’s the Best of CTV Morning Live in 2013.
- In case you missed it: #yeg was the second most popular Twitter trend in Canada for 2013, according to Twitter.
You can take a look at the 2012 list here. Looking ahead to 2014? Here’s a list of things to watch for from the Journal. From Omar, here are five bad Edmonton habits to break in 2014.