Back from lunch (we went to Quizno’s in a nearby mall) and I am in Eric Rice’s session titled Everything Casting. Here are some notes:
- “everything”casting: doing whatever you want, for whatever reason, in whatever medium.
- your thing, your product, your “it”, your epsilon
- Four primary elements or categories: content/concept/purpose, medium/materials, audience/behavior, sustain/making money.
- Content: personal/intimate, art, informational, performance/rock star. You need to have at least one, sometimes you can do all four!
- Medium: text, audio, video, photos. For all the religious opinions on the medium, it doesn’t matter. Some are better than others, depending on the context, sometimes you can mix them together!
- Audience: passive, active passive, participatory, active participatory. You can be in any of these moods, and it depends on where you are, the type of medium available, etc.
- Sustain: zero, fame, barter, cash. It’s perfectly okay to not make money, and in fact, it’s usually hard to make money from things you love doing – think of sports, or playing video games, etc.
More good discussion! Eric will be posting the audio of this session, as well as the slides. Everything is licensed under Creative Commons, so you’re encouraged to use it!