Here is my latest update on local media stuff:
- Tickets for MediaCamp are on sale now! Get yours here! Jeff blogged some details today too, don’t miss that.
- In case you missed it: the federal government plans to drop the so-called “Twitter ban” on posting early election results.
- Here’s a bit of criticism of the proposed downtown arena that I wouldn’t have thought of, courtesy of Terry Jones: “Do you have any idea of how many arenas in North America forgot to build press boxes over the years? It’s in double figures!”
- Jana Pruden of the Edmonton Journal is starting a local press club. Contact her for details, or follow @yegpressclub on Twitter!
- Here is Karen’s latest Edmonton New Media Roundup. Tons of good clicks to be had, as always.
- Over at the Community Newsroom blog, Karen recapped the first few months of the media lab. It’s great to hear that so many students – 175! – visited as part of the City Hall School program!
- Here’s a profile of CTV Edmonton’s meteorologist Josh Classen at the St. Albert Gazette.
- Edmonton’s NextGen has started a guest blogging series. The first entry, by Jessica Zapata, focuses on health and fitness.
- Here’s a fascinating post by Lucas Timmons for the Online News Association. He talks about how he mapped a dozen years of homicides in Edmonton – the tools he used and the lessons he learned along the way. Good stuff! (If you’re looking for more on homicides, check out my statistics & trends post).
- Intriguing headline at GIG CITY: Who broke the radio star? It’s a pretty good read. An excerpt: “Edmonton radio plays its part in the great cycle of life. Sonic 102.9 is the best in town for breaking new music. This is the consensus of all the Edmonton-based major label promotion reps, who wish to remain anonymous, all four of them.”
- At the Edmonton Journal’s Community Advisory Board meeting last week, we got to sit in on the 4pm news meeting. Managing Editor Stephanie Coombs was both entertaining and informative! I was happy to hear she dislikes the “crowd pleasing” photos, like puppies dressed as cats.
- Dave continues to illustrate the value of a simple list with his Alberta Election Candidate Update series.
- The 2012 Alberta Magazine Awards will be handed out on March 22 in Calgary. You have until January 31 to submit an entry for the Showcase Awards.
- I still don’t like Avenue Edmonton’s idea for an SCTV monument in Edmonton.
- Registration is now open for BlogWest. The early bird price is $199. After January 29, it jumps to $249.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!
UPDATE: Stay warm out there, it’s gonna be very cold for a few days! Don’t believe me? Check out the Long John Index. I love their newsroom page: “Not only is the Long John Index a semi valuable and quasy hilarious weather service, its also GREAT filler for Media organizations!”
UPDATE2: The list of presenters for Pecha Kucha Night 12 has been posted!