Unfortunately there are lots of negative stories in the media about Oiler fans, but we’re not all bad. There are so many amazing fans in Edmonton, I am just continually amazed at the things they create! If you’re looking to get pumped up, there’s lots of fan created media online.
Bruce Thiessen aka Dr. BLT sent me a link to a song he wrote for the Oilers, called “Oilers on Ice“. Bruce describes himself as a “Canadian-born and raised prairie boy” and he does the Oilers proud with his song.
Still on the topic of music, 91.7 The Bounce has seven different Oiler songs for you to enjoy, including one with Georges Laraque! Not to be outdone, The Bear created a song for Fernando Pisani using the music from Abba’s “Fernando” track. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be online yet, but I’m sure it will be eventually.
What about the vehicles? If you live in Edmonton, you’ve no doubt seen the trucks driving around with oil derricks on the bed, and other vehicles similarly decked out in copper and blue. Even our public transit system, ETS, is showing their Oiler pride. There’s lots more pictures on Flickr too.
Want to see the antics of crazy fans? Look no further than YouTube. As of the time of this post, there are 276 videos that show up in a search for the Edmonton Oilers. Unfortunately there are quite a few videos of Don Cherry too 😉
Here’s a small list of some of the other stuff out there:
- Troops in Afghanistan sent a signed flag to the team.
- Some Islamic women in the city have made special Oiler head scarves from white cloth and logos printed from the Internet.
- Some fans are getting tattoos!
- The Oilers themselves have a great collection of fan photos on their website.
- The German Air Force 71st Fighter Wing showed their colors to cheer on to the copper and blue.
- There have been around 300 blog posts created every day for the last month that mention the Edmonton Oilers.
- Zeebuzz.com has a bunch of Oiler-related ring tones you can download (not free unfortunately), with titles like “Lets Go Oil”, “Blue Mile Streaking”, and “Carolina Sucks”.
There’s lots more great stuff, just do some searching! Go Oilers Go!