I’m so happy that I’ve made the switch to WordPress! It’s a great platform with a great community. One of the best things about WordPress is the gigantic list of available plugins. If I wanted to add a feature to my blog in Community Server, it was always incredibly difficult to do. With WordPress however, the feature has likely already been written by someone else!
I thought I’d take a moment to share with you some of these features.
- Comments rock! One of the biggest complaints my readers had about the old blog was that it never remembered their details on the comment form. I hated that too. That’s no longer an issue with WordPress. But wait, it gets better! I installed the Subscribe to Comments plugin, which means you can check a box when you leave a comment and you’ll get email notifications of all follow-up comments!
- Twitter! I displayed my Twitter status on my old blog, but I wrote the code to do it myself. I probably re-wrote it half a dozen times too. Anyway, I installed the Twitter Widget, and it rocks. Nice and simple to use. And best of all, when Twitter goes down, I can just deactivate the plugin – no code changes required!
- Collapsible Archives! I’ve been blogging since November 2003, which makes for an incredibly long list of monthly archives. With the old design I had everything contracted by default, but I didn’t really like that. Now I have the Flexo Archives Widget, which shows just the years. Click on a year, and it expands to show the months. Very cool!
- Tag Cloud! I’m a big fan of tag clouds, and I’m really happy that WordPress 2.3 includes this functionality right outta the box.
- AddThis! On every post is a button that lets you save the link to your favorite service. On the sidebar is a button that enables you to subscribe at your favorite service. This kind of functionality should be included on all blogs I think! I’m using plugins from AddThis.
And some non-WordPress things:
- A wider page layout! I also made the font size a bit bigger.
- I am quite happy with the way my icon bar turned out! Click on the icons to access my profiles around the web.
If you’re reading this in an aggregator of some kind, I apologize for the multiple items you likely saw in my feed! Should only be a one-time thing. The feed address shouldn’t need to change, however.
Thanks for reading! If you have any feedback, please let me know!
5 thoughts on “What's new around here?”
Hey Mack! website is looking good! Perhaps I should actually get on making that website now that I don’t have school anymore eh? haha
Thanks Andrew! Don’t rush the website, but it would be cool 🙂
I really like the wider page layout.
And, yeah, WordPress is pretty great. I really need to install the subscribe to comment’s plugin, and the AddThis! button. I keep meaning to add both of those things, but keep forgetting for some reason.
Thanks Adam…yup, they are definitely handy plugins.