Here are some Edmonton-related things I found interesting this week:
- The big news this week was the meteor (video is embedded below too). Everyone was talking about it, and Edmonton was mentioned on newscasts throughout North America. Very cool. You can read more about it here.
- Local tech firm Nirix announced a new marketing competition for students in Alberta called sparkIT. The deadline to register is January 26th, 2009.
- The Olympic torch will be making its way through Edmonton in 2010. The route will include 1020 communities across Canada.
- All of Edmonton’s high schools have been equipped with portable, lunch box-sized defibrillators. A grant from the Canadian Legion of Frontiersmen made it possible.
- Edmonton has been named a finalist in the 2009 Intelligent Community Forum’s Smartest Community in the World competition. The top 7 will be announced on January 21st, 2009 with the winner named on May 15th, 2009. Last year’s winner was Waterloo, Ontario.
- Homeward Trust finally released the report for this year’s Homeless Count to the media. The final number is 3079. Hopefully it’ll be posted to their website next week.
- Local radio station Sonic 102.9 FM has joined Twitter! You can follow them here. The popular Edmonton Fire Radio also joined, you can follow them here.