What an incredibly hot weekend here in Edmonton, plus 30 degrees both days. Here are my weekly notes:
- I finally bought a new TV today. I have been looking for a while, and decided on the LG 42CL40, which is a 42” HD 1080p LCD with 120Hz technology. Picked it up at Costco where it was on sale! Looks great.
- Both surprising and not at the same time: an app called Offender Location, which shows you where registered sex offenders live, was among the most popular apps on the iPhone recently.
- Computer scientists are debating whether there should be limits on research that could potentially cause us to lose control over our machines. In 1975, a group of scientists met at the same place to discuss a similar issue related to genetics research.
- Signs of a business model: Twitter 101. Also, did the White House ban Twitter?
- Here are Canada’s leading Web 2.0 pioneers, as chosen by Backbone Magazine. You’ll note the lack of companies from locations other than Vancouver and Toronto.
- What is the CBC’s social networking strategy? Part 1, Part 2.
- The Rise of the Open City: the current state of affairs