Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Edmonton Public School Board trustees voted to close five Edmonton schools this week. Parkdale, McCauley, Eastwood, Capilano, and Fulton Place will be closing at the end of June. Don’t miss Dave’s post on the decision.
- You can read the full text of Mayor Stephen Mandel’s 2010 State of the City address here.
- Ken Tingley was named Edmonton’s first ever Historian Laureate this week.
- City Council voted in favor of borrowing $108 million from future provincial construction grants to make up for a shortfall in the next two years.
- Edmonton International Airport is seeking works of art to display in the new Expansion 2012 terminal development.
- Interested in running in the next municipal election? The 2010 Edmonton Election Candidates’ Nomination Packages are now available.
- Edmonton Fire Rescue Services is now accredited by The Commission on Fire Accreditation International.
- When you visit a festival this summer, you’ll be able to make an on-the-spot donation to charity rather than to a panhandler.
- Edmonton’s Biolithic Corporation won the 2010 TEC VenturePrize competition this week.
- Here’s the latest Edmonton Next Gen weekly newsletter. If you’d like to speak at Pecha Kucha 7, the deadline for submissions is May 1.
- Victoria’s Secret is coming to West Edmonton Mall in August.
- The Edmonton Oilers won the lottery and will select first in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft on June 25.
- Here’s the Edmonton Startup Index for April.
- Coming up on Monday is the Annual EEDC Luncheon, featuring keynote speaker Dr. Indira Samarasekera (on ShareEdmonton).
- Monday is also the kickoff for the Edmonton Poetry Festival, which runs until April 25 (on ShareEdmonton). Speaking of poetry, The Carrot is running The Great Poetry Giveaway this month!
- On Thursday, Earth Day, deVine Wines is hosting The Green Tasting (on ShareEdmonton).
- Edmonton’s International Beerfest runs Friday and Saturday at the Shaw Conference Centre (on ShareEdmonton).
- Registration is now open for MediaCamp Edmonton!
Rexall Place was packed (for a lacrosse game) yesterday for the Edmonton Rush game. They lost to Calgary in overtime, but won tonight in Washington!