Check out Edmonton notes throughout the week at Edmonton Etcetera!
Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Snow, snow, snow. That’s what people have been talking about. I won’t bore you with yet another news article. But here’s a fun link: Edmonton’s Best Toboggan Hills.
- The proposed downtown arena was in the news a lot this week. Here’s a good article from Paula Simons.
- The Indy is going to happen here in Edmonton after all. Organizers hope to make the event more of a festival, similar to the Grey Cup.
- Here’s a good post on the downtown arena from The Charrette. Also check out Dave’s post. He wrote what lots of people were thinking.
- Our City’s latest homicide brought social media into the discussion. I was interviewed about it by CBC and iNews880.
- GPS information is coming to St. Albert transit. This is high on the wish list for many ETS customers.
- A new hotel opened recently in the City’s west end – the Courtyard Edmonton West.
- The City of Edmonton has lifted an advertising ban that prevented liquor ads from appearing on buses and LRT.
- The head of corporate communications at the City of St. Albert has resigned.
- Everyone’s favorite new Twitter account was interviewed by the Edmonton Sun.
- Here’s a write-up on the Alberta Avenue Farmers Market. Check it out, if you haven’t done so already!
- The deadline to opt out of the 2011 distribution of the Yellow Pages is February 12. To opt out call 1-800-268-5637 or fill out the online form.
- The latest ratings were released recently, which meant every local news organization was talking about they are number one. Global says the News Hour is number one. CTV says News at Six is number one.
- At least one analyst thinks the Katz Group might be for sale.
- For more headlines from the past week, check out theedmontonian.com.
- City Council is talking about the proposed arena all day Monday and Tuesday. You can see the agenda for tomorrow here. You can watch live or listen online here.
- Here’s the latest edition of The Unknown Studio, featuring an interview with Mayor Mandel.
- For upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
- Edmonton Next Gen is hosting an information session on the City Centre Redevelopment Project on Tuesday. Registration is full, but follow along on Twitter. Postponed.
- Minnesota is in town on Tuesday to take on the Oilers. Dallas visits on Thursday, and Nashville visits on Sunday.
- The Oil Kings are in action at home this week as well, on Friday night against the Moose Jaw Warriors, and on Saturday night against Medicine Hat.
- DemoCamp Edmonton 13 is taking place on Wednesday evening at the Telus Centre. See you there!
- The Edmonton Pet Expo takes place Saturday and Sunday at the Edmonton Expo Centre.
- Ice on Whyte continues all week! Don’t miss it!
Edmonton Skyline by Edith Hoffman
Check out more photos from Ice on Whyte here.