Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Saturday was a big day for the Edmonton International Airport. More than 800 people took part in a trial run, where they did everything a passenger would (minus actually getting on a plane). Expansion 2012 looks awesome!
- Earlier this week, the EIA announced that Canadian North will be using the facility as its southern charter home base.
- The International Housing Affordability Survey found that Edmonton has the most housing of Canada’s six major metropolitan reasons.
- This is why I love blogs. Here’s The Copper & Blue’s take on recent mainstream media coverage of the Oilers rebuild: “Luckily the discerning fan is no longer forced to rely on writers who are forced to list "access" as their single best credential in writing about, understanding and analyzing hockey.”
- It was a busy week in Leduc. Both the Downtown Master Plan and and the Intermunicipal Development Plan were approved.
- Though he campaigned for mayor on the issue, PC MLA candidate David Dorward says that if elected he would not bring the City Centre Airport up.
- I love stories like this. Edmonton-based Liquor Stores N.A. has annual sales of $600 million, employs 2000 people across 240 stores, and has a $355 million market cap. Like too many things in Edmonton, it’s a quiet success story.
- According to the Journal, the Shih Tzu is the most popular licensed breed of dog in the city. Buddy is the most popular name.
- The Edmonton Bicycle Commuters are opening a second location inside a former carpentry workshop at 9305 111 Avenue.
- Don’t miss Alex’s take on winter in Edmonton.
- People nominated as Snow Angels throughout the city will receive tickets to an Oil Kings game as a result of a new partnership between the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Oil Kings.
- I’ve written quite a bit about Edmonton Stories in the past, so I was quite interested to see that estimates put the cost of the site at $131 per story.
- We’re coming up to the 100th anniversary of Strathcona’s merger with Edmonton.
Dawson Bridge by Stoncel
And here are some upcoming events:
- The community hearings for the Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline wrap up on Tuesday here in Edmonton.
- Head down to the Stanley Milner library on Tuesday for the Local Money Summit.
- The Oilers are in action at home three times this week, hosting the Avalanche on Tuesday, the Blackhawks on Thursday, and the Red Wings on Saturday.
- The next Bossy Night Out takes place on Thursday evening!
- Edmonton’s 12th Pecha Kucha Night is happening on Thursday at the Garneau Theatre.
- The Oil Kings play the Red Deer Rebels at Rexall Place on Friday night.
- Hope to see you at MediaCamp Edmonton on Saturday! Buy your tickets now!