Here is my latest update on local media stuff:
- I was very pleased to see some coverage in the Journal for the Prairie Belles Podcast! The duo behind the podcast, Daneel Irons and Lisa Nicole Grace, celebrated two years of recording this weekend – congrats!
- The Canadian Music & Broadcast Industry Awards are coming up next week, and Edmonton is well-represented. Virgin’s Lochlin Cross and Sonic’s Adam Thompson are both nominated for Music Director of the Year, Sonic’s Garner Andrews is nominated for On Air Talent, and Sonic’s Al Ford and The Bear’s Rob Vavrek are nominated for Program Director of the Year. Also, Virgin, Now, K97, CISN, World FM, 630 CHED, The Bear, and Sonic are up for various Station of the Year awards.
- The Edmonton Journal has received two 2011 National Newspaper Award nominations. Sheila Pratt was recognized for “her investigation of the climate of fear and intimidation in Alberta’s public life” and a team of reporters, editors and photographers were recognized for their coverage of the devastating Slave Like wildfires.
- The Journal and the Calgary Herald are also up for a joint International Newsmedia Marketing Association (INMA) Award for the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championships.
- This is really cool, congratulations Karen! “After a successful pilot project that brought 235 students from nine different classes into the media lab over the past few months, The Journal is ready to create a full-fledged site-based school program for the 2012-13 school year.”
- Last night was the final broadcast at CTV Edmonton for Scott Roberts – he has accepted a position at CTV British Columbia. Best of luck!
- Purchasing a copy of The Journal got a bit more expensive this month. On March 1, the price of a single copy of The Journal rose by 25 cents for the Sunday through Thursday editions.
- I love this photo from Fish: two hearts beat as one.
- Here’s another photo, courtesy of Brittney: the “party” lights at CHED!
- Check out scenes from the March 5 celebration of Avenue’s annual food issue.
- Did anyone join West Edmonton Local in capturing a day in the life of west Edmonton today? I can’t wait to see what they came up with.
- The Journal has a new blog – Fight Game is a boxing blog written by Warren Tasker. Is boxing really that big of a deal in Edmonton?
- Ah, the joy of digging through your blog stats. Heeelloooooooooo Latvia!!!!
- Quick reminder that DemoCamp Edmonton 18 takes place next Wednesday – hope to see you there!
- Also, early heads up about the Best of Analytics conference on Big Data and the Cloud coming up at the end of April.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!
UPDATE: Brittney is going to be writing a regular page six column in the Edmonton Sun! From her Tumblr: “I’m joining the likes of Graham Hicks, Danny Hooper, and Marty Forbes. I don’t know which one of us has the best hair – probably Marty.” Congrats Brit! Check out her first column here.