Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- The downtown arena was discussed at Council this week, and once again the project took a small step forward. The $450 million budget was reaffirmed and the project team will now be moving to the detailed design phase. In other words, not much has changed. If this is “all part of the process” as officials from both the Katz Group and the City like to say, then can we maybe have the steps in that process published upfront from now on? I mean, it would make this whole charade a lot less entertaining, but then at least we could focus on the issues instead of getting ourselves into a tizzy because Council is talking once again about the arena. It would probably help the Councillors too, and might save them from asking questions that they have already asked. Two years ago. Oh yes, it was that kind of a day at Council on Tuesday.
- Speaking of Council, here’s the latest Council Roundup from the City. Of note is the new image and reputation task force which will be co-led by Maureen McCaw and Chris LaBossiere.
- Congratulations to Brad Ferguson, the new President and CEO of EEDC effective August 1, 2012. I think he’s going to do great things in the role.
- Here’s a great feature on the City Centre Redevelopment in the Globe and Mail. “Faced with the prospect of an empty site in the middle of the city, with 300 acres of land ready to be developed, a lot of municipal governments would have seen nothing but dollar signs. Edmonton pictured families.”
- Answer the question “Why Edmonton?” and then tell Adam about it with a video, post, or something else. It’s an effort to “get down to the essence of Edmonton.”
- Edmonton Transit has released ETS to Go, a new mobile website for the Trip Planner, Bus Stop Schedule, Saved Locations, and alerts.
- I feel like I have already written about this, but a new press release from the Government of Alberta says that construction on the final leg of Anthony Henday Drive is underway with a scheduled opening in the fall of 2016.
- Edmonton’s NextGen is working with EEDC to search for an EEDC/NextGen Youth Intern. Unfortunately the deadline to apply has already passed, just three days after that post.
- The market for downtown office space is heating up, as the vacancy rate dropped to 7.8% from 8.5% last quarter.
- The annual Capital Ex Parade took place on Thursday, with the City of Edmonton unveiling its entry titled “Us” on Wednesday. What did you think? I saw a lot of mixed reaction online!
- EPS rolled out its new Specialized Traffic Apprehension Teams (STAT) this week and announced that their first target will be Edmonton’s 100 Worst Drivers.
- It was pretty much down to the wire, but the Oilers and Sam Gagner have agreed to terms on a one-year contract worth $3.2 million.
- Your next visit to Commonwealth Stadium to watch the Eskimos will probably be a little more comfortable – new seat installation is underway!
- Which community garden is your favorite? Vote in Sustainable Food Edmonton’s 2012 Community Garden Awards.
- The third and final task in the Edmonton Community Challenge is a photo scavenger hunt!
I love this shot by Cam Braaten.
Here are some upcoming events to check out:
- We announced the next What the Truck?! on Friday. Join us on August 3 in Oliver along the beautiful Victoria Promenade!
- Taste of Edmonton and Capital Ex continue all week. Don’t forget that Saturday is the last day to cast your vote in the Name Your Fair contest.
- This week is the final one for Fork Fest Summer 2012.
- The annual Premier’s Capital EX breakfast takes place on Tuesday morning at the Legislature grounds.
- Looking for something to do Tuesday night? Check out the AGA’s Tuesdays on the Terrace.
- Head over to Latitude 53 on Thursday evening for the next edition of the Summer Rooftop Patio Series.
- The next Social Media Breakfast Edmonton takes place on Friday morning at the Startup Edmonton space.
- All weekend long, enjoy Edmonton’s newest music festival in Hawrelak Park: Interstellar Rodeo.
- Get into the Olympic spirit on Sunday with the Edmonton Valley Zoo Summer Animal Olympics.
- Want to take in some baseball this week? The Edmonton Prospects are in action at Telus Field on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Congratulations to Helio Castroneves, winner of the 2012 Edmonton Indy.