Here is my latest update on local media stuff:
- Courtney Theriault is taking over the news anchor duties at Breakfast Television effective today. Congrats!
- The Edmonton Sun’s paywall went live on December 4. They call it SUN+ and you get a limit of 20 articles per month for free. For a limited time, you can subscribe for 99 cents per month, after that the price goes up to $5.99/month. Looks like they may have some implementation issues – results in Google all seem to say: “You have reached your monthly limit of premium articles. To get full access to Edmonton Sun, login…”
- The latest PPM Top-Line Radio Statistics for Edmonton are out, which you can see here. 102.3 NOW! FM is in the top spot, followed by 630 CHED and Capital FM.
- Here’s a big update on what Capital Ideas Edmonton has been up to. “Capital Ideas is about making it possible for business owners to share what they know.” And don’t miss the next Capital Ideas event taking place on Wednesday at The Business Link, covering “lean” business principles.
- HOT 107’s Santa Paws: Stuff the Studio! is accepting donations for the Edmonton Humane Society. “HOT 107 recognizes that pets with homes are often showered with gifts and treats for Christmas, and we believe that shelter animals deserve a little holiday love too!”
- Congrats to Omar Mouallem on being named the 2013 EPL Writer in Residence!
- Well there’s no hockey, so CBC has to try something I guess. Grasping at straws!
- Here is yet another story on CKUA’s move to the rebuilt Alberta Hotel.
- Great to see some exploration of new mediums at the Journal: Relinked talks about maps, podcasts, and more.
- Linda has a brief piece on Brittney’s 5k365 project here. “I am still trying to reach my goal and meet 5,000 people, but at the end of the day, it’s the people, not the number, that’s important,” says Brittney.
- Tamara is considering organizing another #meetthemedia event, tentatively for February or March. Let her know if you’re interested in sponsoring or otherwise getting involved.
- This is pretty neat: four teens from the Kids with Cancer Society got to spend a day at Global Edmonton learning about what its like to be a reporter.
- Odvod Media is looking for a full-time writer/editor. The deadline to apply is December 21.
- Applications for the Edmonton Journal’s online editor/producer position need to be in by Wednesday!
- CJSR turns 29 in January, and they’re looking for birthday messages from you. There are prizes for the top three entries, and the deadline is December 31.
- Sounds like Marc Michaels is no longer with The Bounce. Before joining them last year, he was with The Vibe in Calgary.
- Have you nominated someone for The Yeggies yet?
- I should have linked to this in my last update: Fort Saskatchewan’s very first radio station launched a couple of weeks ago as Mix 107.9 FM.
- Jeff & Sally are looking for people to help them shoot a pilot for their new web video series called “Startups”. Here’s the video intro:
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!
UPDATE: Another media-related link – many at 630 CHED are mourning the loss of Wheatly McKenna Robinson, a 12-year-old Airedale who was a fixture at the station for over a decade.