Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- New estimates from the Capital Region Board suggest that our population could grow as high as 2.3 million people by 2047. That’s nearly twice as many people as was previously predicted.
- In case you missed it, here’s my take on the news that Executive Council gave Administration the go-ahead to look into Dave Mowat’s project to light up Edmonton’s bridges. Here is EPCOR’s statement on the project.
- The University of Alberta’s Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry celebrated its 100th anniversary this week. A great milestone for such an important part of our community!
- Is it too soon for Mayor Mandel to retire? Well, no one is going to beat him if he runs again.
- A new report recommends that the City allow Internet voting for advance and special ballots in October. Bring on the online voting!
- Ever wonder what its like to be an officer on patrol in the winter? EPS Cst. Christine Debienne provides some insight:
- You have until Friday to enter The Tomato’s prize draw – simply tell them about your favorite thing to eat or drink. Stay tuned for their list of the 100 best things to eat in Edmonton.
- Here are three acts to watch on Edmonton’s music scene. And here are five rising Edmonton theatre stars.
- Starting February 5, the City will collect garbage and recycling on the same day every week.
- Here’s a heads up from ETS: the Customer Services Centre will be moving from Churchill Station to City Hall in late February.
- Apparently Rexall Place is the third busiest concert venue in Canada and the 26th busiest in the world.
- The NHL returns to Edmonton this week. Could it also be the week the arena deal finally gets done?
Here are some upcoming events:
- Monday night is the big night – Oprah is at Rexall Place!
- The Oilers host San Jose on Tuesday for their home-opener. On Thursday evening, Los Angeles will be in town. They kicked their season off tonight in Vancouver with a 3-2 SO win.
- Head over to the Edmonton Journal on Wednesday for the next Capital Ideas luncheon, this time on family business.
- Or if opera is more your thing, head over to the City Centre pedway to see the launch of Edmonton Opera’s 2013/2014 season.
- This looks like a great event taking place on Wednesday evening: Soapbox, Suds, and Wings: Reinvigorating Alberta Politics.
- Edmonton NextGen’s next DIYalogue event takes place on Thursday evening at The Billiard Club. Tickets are just $10 and the theme is “quality play”.
- Ice on Whyte gets underway on Friday at End of Steel Park! They’ve partnered with the Canoe Theatre Festival too, which gets underway on Thursday.
- On Friday evening the Rush take on Washington at Rexall Place.
- Come on down to the Stanley Milner library on Saturday for the Human Library. I’ll be one of the living books!
- The Oil Kings are in action on Saturday against Brandon and Sunday against Lethbridge.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
The Dawson Bridge, by oudzo.