Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- BlogWest is back! The conference takes place from March 7-9 at The Westin downtown. Nearly 150 bloggers participated in last year’s event. Check out the speakers list for 2013 here.
- Congratulations to Global Edmonton’s Kevin Karius who received a Diamond Jubilee Medal for his work with the Easter Seals.
- Very disappointing to hear that Laurie Callsen has fallen victim to layoffs at Metro (apparently they cut about a dozen jobs across the country). She’s talented, and I’m sure someone will scoop her up quickly!
- After a year writing the Edmonton Journal’s Social Seen column, fashion blogger Caroline Gault is moving on. Vickie Laliotis, who writes Adventures in Fashion, will be taking over.
- Darren Hardy is the publisher of SUCCESS magazine, and he’s in town tomorrow night to give a talk on the Productivity Strategies of Super Achievers.
- The Edmonton Journal has an immediate opening for a Digital News Editor. The closing date is March 15.
- Want to join the St. Albert Gazette? They’re looking for a reporter to join the team.
- Also hiring is Avenue Edmonton. They’re looking for an editorial intern to join for a paid six-month term.
- Here’s a peek at The One 93.1 FM’s new Master Control Room.
- How did I miss this story from a couple weeks ago? Edmonton news anchor’s daughter has a fish called Cocoa. No seriously, that’s the headline!
- The next Capital Ideas Edmonton event will take place on March 20. The panel will discuss how to hire and retain good employees!
Capital Ideas Edmonton’s fourteenth event: How do I find funding for my business?
- Ever wonder how to pitch the media? IABC has an event coming up addressing that very problem, and they’ve got a number of local media folks on the panel to offer advice including Ted Bauer, Mark Suits, and Stacey Brotzel.
- This looks like a pretty interesting event for content creators: Alberta Storytellers on Screen takes place on March 23 & 24.
- The Yeggies have released a short trailer and details about the main event coming up on May 4 at the Shaw Conference Centre. Get your tickets now!
Magazine Giveaway from Zinio
I don’t normally do giveaways, but I thought this one seemed relevant. Zinio bills itself as the world’s largest newsstand, with more than 5000 magazine titles available in digital editions as of 2012. They’ve got apps for most major platforms and promise publishers the ability to “increase circulation and advertising revenue” without increasing distribution costs. Zinio was named one of the 20 best iOS and Android apps of 2012.
Zinio is running two promotions at the moment. The first gives you $7.50 off your next purchase when you spend $15 (ends March 15). The second is a 50% discount on select titles (ends March 19). To help spread the word, Zinio has given me 10 free magazine subscriptions to giveaway. All you need to do to enter this contest is leave a comment below with your first and last name by March 18, after which I’ll randomly choose 10 winners. Good luck!
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!