Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Council voted to target a 5.1% tax increase in the 2014 budget this week. It’ll have to wait for the new Council to finalize the budget and the tax rate, but if it stays at the proposed rate the typical home would see an increase of about $98.
- Here’s the latest Council Roundup. Remember that proposed Jumbotron upgrade for Commonwealth Stadium? It was approved.
- Sustainable Food Edmonton is looking to raise $250,000 by February 2015 to re-establish City Farm.
- This week I attended the launch of the Infill Development in Edmonton Association (IDEA). “IDEA envisions an Edmonton full of healthy communities made vibrant and walkable through our collaborative planning and development decisions.” Follow them on Twitter.
- Here’s a visualization of the current Council’s voting data. Further analysis is needed to draw really strong conclusions, but it’s a start.
- It seems Stantec is starting to look for a new headquarters. That could be a new office tower but it may not be downtown. Locating the building anywhere else would be a big mistake!
- I didn’t know this was up for debate, but it seems EPS has no plans to drop the use of 10-codes. 10-4!
- Slowly (very slowly) but surely the City is rolling out its Smart Bus technology.
- An Edmonton model has made the cover of Italian Vogue! I understand from hearing America’s Next Top Model in the background that that’s a pretty big deal.
- Could this become a thing? Mayor Mandel wants a wage freeze for unions.
- When I first heard about this second-year U of A student who received a fine on the LRT for not having his U-Pass with him, I thought, “that’s the way it should be!” But after thinking about it a little more, maybe he’s right. Students don’t have a choice, they all get a U-Pass, so technically he has paid the fare. But the rules state you have to have proof with you, and that’s pretty clear.
- Here’s why you need to understand Treaty 6.
- From Spacing Edmonton, here are Edmonton’s urbanism headlines for the past week.
- Remember Edmonton, if a Sharknado hits, seek shelter!
- Construction signs for the new downtown arena will be installed at the site tomorrow morning, the first visible presence of the project moving ahead. Well, minus the fact that Staples is closing down by August 3.
Photo from the K-Days Parade by PremierofAlberta
Here are some upcoming events:
- Taste of Edmonton continues all week at Churchill Square. K-Days continues all week at Northlands Park. It’s definitely summertime now!
- There’s another pop-up restaurant taking place on Wednesday at Sabzy called Ration presents: Vegetarian Nouvelle.
- I hope to see you in The Quarters on Thursday evening at our next Truck Stop event! It’ll be a great opportunity to check out four of Edmonton’s newest food trucks. Check out the menus here.
- Also Thursday evening: Latitude 53’s patio series and 124 Street Grand Market! Speaking of Thursday Overload…
- Interstellar Rodeo kicks off on Friday evening at Hawrelak Park. The sold out festival sounds like it’ll be another big success this year!
- It’ll be a good weekend to check out the Mercer Warehouse. On Saturday is another Mercer Collective, and later that evening is Mercer Tavern’s first birthday bash.
- Also Saturday evening is an unofficial Chive Meetup at The Pint on Whyte.
- Guess what came in my email today? My first Fringe show promo for 2013! From Fringe with Love kicks off on August 15.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Boyle Renaissance, the site of our Truck Stop on Thursday evening!