Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- The Local Good has launched a new Election 2013 portal. They’ve also sent out a questionnaire to candidates.
- Next year The Buchanan Centre will open, a state-of-the-art centre devoted to taking care of people with Parkinson’s disease, the first of its kind in Canada.
- Here is David Staples on the rural ripoff. “This tax grab is damaging to the vast majority of the Alberta’s villages, towns and cities. It also threatens the prosperity and competitiveness of the Edmonton region.”
- Councillor Iveson spoke out about the risks of going with a P3 for the Southeast LRT. If you’re interested in learning more, check out this article I wrote back in March.
- Boyle Street Community Services has bought its building on 105 Avenue, which means it’s pretty unlikely now that the organization will be forced to move when the new arena is completed.
- The week started with reports that three men BASE jumped off the Pearl Tower in Oliver.
- EPS opened its new southwest division station this weekend at 1351 Windermere Way. “We’ve got to catch up as a police service and we’re lagging a little bit behind,” said police chief Rod Knecht. Well maybe if we stopped expanding our borders…
- Two months ahead of schedule, the last of 56,000 new green and gold seats were installed at Commonwealth Stadium today.
- Edmonton’s Criminal Court has a new judge: Raymond Bodnarek was appointed this week.
- Have you submitted your nominations for Vue Weekly’s 18th annual Best of Edmonton?
- The Edmonton Public School Board could have high school student trustees next year if a motion made by chair Sarah Hoffman passes.
- Edmonton will host seven games during next year’s FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada.
- Here are the latest Edmonton urbanism headlines.
- From Omar Mouallem: Edmonton had to lose Gretzky in order to find itself.
- The Province did a bit of promotion this week for twin bridges under construction as part of the northeast leg of Anthony Henday Drive. The northeast section has 46 bridge structures, but just these two cross the river.
Here are some upcoming events:
- The City is hosting an information session for candidates on Wednesday during lunch.
- My favorite festival of the year gets underway this week. The Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival celebrates 50 years of James Bond on screen this year!
- FAVA is having its Summer Party on Friday evening.
- The Edmonton Dragon Boat Festival takes place this weekend!
- There are only a few weeks left of Park After Dark Fridays at Northlands Park.
- Head on down to Churchill Square this weekend for the 4th annual Edmonton Latin Festival.
- Don’t miss the 97 Street Night Market on Saturday evening in new Chinatown! Here is Sharon’s post about it.
- Have you had your full of music festivals yet? The Edmonton Blues Festival runs Friday through Sunday at Hawrelak Park.
- Selena Gomez is in town for a concert at Rexall Place on Saturday.
- Atlanta is in town on Sunday to take on FC Edmonton.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Love the “awesome” photo bomb! Check out more cosplay from Animethon here.