Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- Linda Hoang was let go from the Edmonton Sun today. They are “making changes to columns” apparently. Unfortunate news, but ultimately it’s the Sun’s loss. I’m sure Linda will be snapped up by someone quickly! Either way, she promises to “continue to tell stories of Edmontonians doing awesome things with social media” through her blog. Here’s her final column, on engaging voters.
- I also wanted to mention Linda’s previous column on Brittney Le Blanc’s quest to meet 5,000 people in 365 days. “It’s a truly unique social experiment reinforced by regular and social networking and something that could have easily failed but didn’t.”
- And another Linda item: she’s doing the Alberta Primetime #PopCulturePanel!
- For a little while, Paula Simons had a parody account on Twitter called, appropriately, @Perlatiks. Sadly the account has since been suspended. I love Paula’s reaction to it:
@Perlatiks Have fun being me. I know I always do.
— Paula Simons (@Paulatics) September 26, 2013
- Did you have problems receiving your copy of the Journal recently? It could be because they had some challenges with the new printing presses.
- Here’s an update on some AM radio dial changes taking place here in Edmonton: CKUA’s AM signal will soon be turned off, and TEAM 1260 will now be TSN Radio. Here are some additional details from TSN on the switch.
- There are two positions open at Metro Edmonton: Special Sections editor and Reporter/Photographer.
- The Edmonton Broadcasters Club Fall Luncheon is taking place on October 16 at the Norwood Legion and features Danny Hooper as the guest speaker.
- This is great: Busy control room as NAIT NewsWatch students record the first newscast of the semester!
- Congratulations to Chris Scheetz who won a cookie eating contest that I and some other local personalities competed in for charity. He won by eating five cookies!
— Chris Scheetz (@ChrisScheetz) September 27, 2013
- There are two new additions to the CTV Edmonton team to mention! Kimberly Wynn joins on October 15 to do the traffic for CTV Morning Live, and Sarah Richter joins tomorrow from Regina.
- I just have to link to this: Lloyd’s List, the world’s oldest newspaper, to give up on print.
- If you haven’t already watched it, check out this hilarious video from Todd Babiak promoting his new book Come Barbarians:
- I’m going to end this week with Vue Weekly’s Best of Edmonton 2013. Congratulations to all the winners in the Media category:
- Best Radio Station: SONiC 102.9
- Best Radio Hosts: Crash and Mars from 102.3 NOW!
- Best Morning Radio Host: Garner Andrews from SONiC 102.9
- Best Afternoon Radio Host: Lane Mitchell from SONiC 102.9
- Best Late-Night Radio Host: Fitzy from 102.3 NOW!
- Best TV Station: Global Edmonton
- Best TV Morning Show: Breakfast Television
- Best TV Newscast: Global News Hour
- Best TV News Anchor (Individual): Gord Steinke from Global Edmonton
- Best TV News Anchor (Team): Jennifer Crosby & Shaye Ganam from Global Edmonton
- Best TV Sportscaster: Kevin Karius & John Sexsmith, both from Global Edmonton
- Best TV Weatherperson: Josh Classen from CTV Edmonton
- Best Podcast: The Movie Jerks
- Best Twitterer: @creoleenvie
- Best Local Affairs Blog: MasterMaq’s Blog
- Best Arts/Film Blog: Fish Griwkowsky
- Best Food Blog: Only Here for the Food
- Best Fashion Blog: Dress Me Dearly
- Best Music Blog: New Music Michael
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!