Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- As mentioned a few days ago, Edmonton is bidding to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Congratulations to Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail, Edmonton’s new Historian Laureate!
- Online collection for this year’s municipal census begins on Thursday! You’ll have until April 27 to count yourself in. Door-to-door collection will begin May 10.
- There’s a report coming up soon on the proposed Galleria. I agree with this editorial – we need to discuss whether this project is really what we need.
- It’s official: beginning next year students at the University of Alberta will enjoy a fall reading week.
- Don’t miss Omar Mouallem’s feature on former mayor Stephen Mandel in the April issue of Avenue Edmonton magazine.
- The Edmonton Police Service has launched a new comic book featuring Alex Decoteau, the first Aboriginal police officer in Canada.
- Red Bull Crashed Ice is coming to Edmonton in 2015. The event is “a unique blend of hockey, power skating and boarder cross”. Should be fun!
- Could we soon have more photo radar vehicles and intersection cameras? That’s the recommendation in a new report. Or, you know, we could just raise the speed limits.
- A million bucks to get the Great Divide waterfall on the High Level Bridge working again? Forget it.
- Here are the latest urbanism headlines from Spacing Edmonton.
- Suburbanites in Ambleside are upset about a proposed condo tower. In other news, the sky is still blue and the sun still rises in the east.
- We’re sometimes called Festival City, and increasingly it looks like we’ll have a festival for everyone. Coming soon are the Edmonton International Cat Festival and BaconFest YEG.
- Host Edmonton, taking place in May, is looking for volunteers!
- Interstellar Rodeo is returning this summer and they announced their 2014 lineup this week. You can get tickets starting tomorrow.
Edmonton Downtown by Davan Russell
- The Oilers finish their season at home this week, hosting Colorado on Tuesday, Los Angeles on Thursday, and Vancouver on Saturday.
- Want to give some input on Nuit Blanche, the all-night arts festival coming soon to Edmonton? Check out the first community consultation, taking place on Tuesday afternoon.
- Wednesday is the International Day against Bullying, Discrimination, Homophobia and Transphobia. Wear pink!
- The 2014 Edmonton Motorshow starts on Thursday and runs all weekend long at the Edmonton Expo Centre.
- The Edmonton Oil Kings are looking good in the playoffs so far! Their next home playoff game is Friday against the Wheat Kings.
- Hawkers Market takes place at the Mercer Warehouse on Saturday evening!
- Make It Edmonton is back this weekend at The Enjoy Centre in St. Albert.
- This year’s edition of the Edmonton Music Awards takes place on Sunday evening at the Royal Alberta Museum!
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Gibson Block by Jamey M. Photography