Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- In case you missed it, the spring radio ratings are out and NOW! 102.3 FM is back on top, this time with a sizeable lead over second place 630 CHED. See more stats here.
- Five writers with the Edmonton Journal have been awarded prizes by the Society for Features Journalism. Congrats!
- Congrats also Omar Mouallem! His story in Eighteen Bridges titled “The Kingdom of Haymour” was named Best Feature Article in the 2014 PWAC Awards.
- YEG Fitness is launching a digital magazine with a special event taking place on July 30.
- The Nation Network, which runs OilersNation and a bunch of other sites, has brought in Brian Sutherby as editor-in-chief. He’ll be establishing an American arm of the network down in Califorina.
- Here’s a good discussion and some important questions on the “wrap” that covered the Edmonton Journal a couple weeks ago. Is that particular ad vehicle doing more harm than good?
- Effective July 1, print subscription rates for the Edmonton Journal are increasing. Monday to Saturday delivery will go to $30 per month, while Friday & Saturday delivery will increase $2 to $22 per month (that’s for Metro Edmonton).
- From a couple weeks ago: here is the Unknown Studio’s recording from BT Edmonton’s Bloggers Week.
- Maurice asks, why does the media care what’s trending on Twitter? It’s the new streeter.
- Bruce Hogle delivered a commencement speech at the University of Alberta recently. He’s still storytelling at 85!
- Edmontonian Lisa Gilroy is the host of YTV’s new short Undercover High. Her job sounds pretty fun – she gets to help prank students who are giving their teachers a hard time!
- Anyone have a 1977 Klondike Days media pin? Al Girard is trying to complete a collection.
- Many members of the local media participated in the annual ETS Roadeo event last week. The competition aims to offer insight into the daily reality of bus drivers.
- From May: frustration with the local media and their apparent unwillingness to give credit to the local newspaper in St. Paul.
- Congrats to Tanara McLean on two years with BT Edmonton!
- Here’s a video of Amber Bracken receiving her National Newspaper Award at the Edmonton Journal.
- Global Edmonton launched its fall lineup at Mercer Tavern with special guest Paul Reiser!
- Don’t miss Karen’s latest roundup of local blog posts!
- Sounds like last Friday’s Meet The Media event was another success!
- The next Capital Ideas Edmonton event takes place on Wednesday at the Edmonton Journal!
- The next Art of Conversation, hosted by Rob Christie, Audie Lynds, and Graham Hicks, is taking place on June 30 at 4:30pm at Telus Field. Should be a fun night in the Home Plate Lounge, followed by the Edmonton Prospects vs. Regina Red Sox game.
- Some sad news in the media world: Casey Kasem died Sunday at the age of 82. He launched American Top 40 in 1970 and hosted until he retired in 2009.
Many local media organizations were represented in the 2014 Edmonton Pride Parade. Here are the ones I saw!
You can follow Edmonton media news on Twitter using the hashtag #yegmedia. For a great overview of the global media landscape, check out Mediagazer.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!