Heads up! A parking ban has been declared and takes effect at 11pm tonight. Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Blaming the Province’s financial situation, the City of Edmonton pulled the plug on its bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games this week. The committee will instead “shift its focus to 2026” but I don’t see how that’s going to be any more successful.
- From David Climenhaga: Where’s former Edmonton mayor Stephen Mandel now that his city really needs him?
- WestJet has launched a new daily Encore flight between Edmonton and Kamloops.
- Crazy dump of snow/rain the other day that is now almost gone again thanks to the warm weather. The City will begin neighbourhood blading on Tuesday.
- The City is looking for input on the Galleria project with a couple of open houses and an online survey that is open until February 27. Careful though, as Paula warned: “What colour is the sky in the Galleria promoters’ world? Through that pretty glass roof? It’s always blue.”
- To better accommodate detour traffic thanks to construction on the 102 Avenue bridge, the City will be restricting parking on Stony Plain Road starting March 2.
- The Edmonton Food Council is seeking new members. The deadline to apply is March 16.
- The latest population figures from Statistics Canada have made the Edmonton region the 5th largest urban region in Canada, surpassing Ottawa-Gatineau.
- Times Higher Education has ranked the University of Alberta at #87 on its list of the “most international universities.” That’s up nine places from last year.
- The Edmonton Police Service started using an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV, commonly called a drone) last year. The UAV has been used in over 15 major collision investigations.
- Have you shown how much you love Edmonton recently? Our city is trying to become the Earth Hour Capital of the World, and they need support through social media to make it happen. Tweet, Instagram, or vote online until March 28.
- Great to see a couple of Startup Edmonton companies finding success and growing beyond the space. Very exciting times for Edmonton’s startup scene!
- The 2015 CFL schedule was unveiled this week. The Eskimos will start the preseason against Saskatchewan in Fort McMurray to make room at Commonwealth Stadium for the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- Looking to geek out in Edmonton? Here are five suggestions from The Local Good.
- For more recent headlines, check out ShareEdmonton.
Talus Dome, photo by Kurt Bauschardt
- Happy Family Day! Enjoy free family activities at The Legislature and at City Hall, among other places.
- The Oil Kings have a home game on Family Day, hosting the Prince George Cougars. They host the Medicine Hat Tigers on Sunday.
- The Silver Skate Festival is on at Hawrelak Park until Sunday – don’t miss it! The Winter Triathlon takes place on Sunday.
- The Oilers host the Bruins on Wednesday night at Rexall Place. They host the Wild on Friday night and the Ducks on Saturday night.
- Thursday is Chinese New Year! Chinatown will welcome the Year of the Sheep on Saturday along 97 Street from 11am until 3pm.
- Coming up on Saturday and Sunday is the 5th annual Edmonton Flow Festival.
- The inaugural InFocus photography exhibition takes place on Saturday and Sunday at Harcourt House.
- Saturday is also the Coldest Night of the Year, in support of the Hope Mission.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Edmonton By Night, photo by Danny Roberts