Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- The Government of Alberta will release Budget 2015 on March 26. The government has also announced $400 million in MSI funding, of which Edmonton should see about $80 million.
- The trending topic this week was #PrenticeBlamesAlbertans. Dave has all the details.
- The City has launched a new mobile app called My Rec Guide to help you find and use City of Edmonton recreation centres. It’s available for free on iOS and Android devices. Councillor Knack is questioning why the City is releasing so many apps.
- Edmonton International Airport reports that air cargo volume grew 3.9% last year, the fifth consecutive year of cargo growth.
- City Council has approved the River Valley Oleskiw trail to link Terwillegar Park with the Fort Edmonton Foot Bridge.
- March is Fraud Prevention Month and to help kick it off, the Edmonton Police Service has premiered a new video to “help bring awareness to the investigative work that is done behind the scenes on police files.”
- The old Sobey’s space on 104 Street and Jasper Avenue is available immediately for sublease. “The sublease does not prohibit another grocery store from operating in the space but potential grocers who have been approached do not find the space the right size for their needs.”
- Here is another update on Blatchford called building the neighbourhood of the future. The City is running an online survey right now to learn more about the types of units people want to live in.
- Organizations won’t be able to move in for at least two more years, but the City is already looking for prospective tenants in the MacEwan West Campus building.
- Registration is now open for the 2015 Planning Academy spring course series. More than 1,500 people have taken the courses since 2006.
- The Oilers traded defenceman Jeff Petry to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for two picks. GM Craig MacTavish said he has no interest in trading Yakupov or Eberle.
- Here are the latest urbanism headlines from Spacing Edmonton.
- Frustrated with the state of transit apps in Edmonton? You deserve better, says TransitApp.
- Did you miss Green Drinks last week? Here’s a Storify of the event.
- For more recent headlines, check out ShareEdmonton.
Edmonton Skyline (41 image composite) by Dave Sutherland
- This week is YEG Coffee Week!
- The Oil Kings host the Saskatoon Blades on Tuesday evening.
- The Expanse Festival takes place this week, from Wednesday through Sunday.
- The Edmonton Boat & Sportsmen’s Show takes place at the Edmonton Expo Centre from Thursday through Sunday.
- The Farewell to Winter Patio Party takes place from Friday through Sunday at participating patios around the city (including at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald), just in time for double-digit temperatures!
- iMEDIA kicks off on Friday evening, with the conference taking place Saturday.
- On Saturday evening the Rush host the Vancouver Stealth.
- Saturday is the big event – the Red Bull Crashed Ice final!
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Icy Snakes (Crashed Ice) by Kurt Bauschardt