Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- CBC has officially eliminated another 241 positions across the country, bringing the total number of cuts over the last year to 1,400. A total of 18 people here in Edmonton received redundancy notices last week. Here’s the monologue that CBC Edmonton’s Tim Adams delivered on the cuts.
- CBC received quite a bit of criticism online for announcing the latest round of cuts on the same day it released a redacted report on former Q host Jian Ghomeshi’s questionable conduct.
- Here’s the latest media column from Marty Forbes. He covers the changes at CRUZ 95.7, the end of Jason Strudwick’s radio show on TSN 1260, and more.
- Marty Forbes also wrote about the 50th anniversary of CHQT Radio. Great history there, definitely worth a read!
- Paul Godfrey, Postmedia’ s President & CEO, will join other Postmedia executives for a town hall at the Edmonton Sun later this week. “It’s an exciting time for all of us as we become one of Canada’s largest newsmedia companies,” an internal memo said. “It’s a time to hear from our leaders, ask questions and celebrate together for the first time as a new company.”
- Today was “media day” for several of Alberta’s political leaders. Liberal Leader David Swann met with the editorial board of Metro News while NDP Leader Rachel Notley was a guest on CBC Radio.
- The Alberta election leaders’ debate will air on Global News on Thursday night. It’ll also be livestreamed online.
- Today was also Cam Tait’s roast at The Comic Strip in West Edmonton Mall, with proceeds from the event supporting Little Warriors.
- Congratulations to Alex Migdal on being named one of the recipients of the Edward Goff Penny Memorial Prize for his worth with the Guelph Mercury.
- It looks like Dan Tencer has started a podcast! Here’s the description of Episode #1: “Dan discusses his departure from 630 CHED, the beginning of the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, his disenfranchisement with the political process and more!”
- The Edmonton Journal’s popular Goosecam is up and running for another season. You can tune into see what Patience is up to here. “Hopefully, this season Patience and her offspring will face no harm, no fowl.”
- Here is the latest Edmonton blog roundup from Karen.
- And from Linda, here are the latest social media notes.
- Edmonton Oiler fans may be thrilled that Connor McDavid will be playing here, but the NHL may not be and it’s all because of television ratings. Here in Edmonton, HOT 107 got in on the hype by handing out free “Connor McMuffins”.
- Alberta Business Research Ltd. which publishes Edmonton Senior News and Edmonton Woman Magazine is looking for an advertising sales consultant to join the sales team. The deadline to apply is April 21 so get on it!
- Is “glance journalism” really going to be a thing? Some, including the New York Times, say the Apple Watch will open up a new form of storytelling.
- I don’t think this is a very late April Fools joke: Norway will switch off FM radio starting in 2017, “allowing the country to complete its transition over to digital radio.”
The “Connor McMuffin”, photo courtesy of HOT 107 Edmonton
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!