Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- The latest Edmonton radio ratings are now out covering the period of November 30, 2015 to February 28, 2016. Now 102.3 FM continues to lead the pack with an even bigger lead than last time, while 104.9 Virgin Radio continues to fall. One of the biggest gainers was 92.5 Fresh FM, so maybe their recent format change is working! There’s more on the ratings here.
- Claire Hanna was laid off from her job at Dinner TV this week, a victim of the 200 cuts that Rogers announced back in January. “While this news comes as a shock, it wasn’t entirely unexpected,” she wrote. It looks like the show will continue on for now with Jason Strudwick, Bridget Ryan, and Courtney Theriault.
- CKUA is conducting a survey to gather feedback on programming and how to best take advantage of an opportunity to build a studio in Calgary’s National Music Centre.
- Here’s a great recap of iMEDIA from Lindsey Catherine in case you missed it!
- Episode 33 of the Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast features JP Fournier and Shawn Gramiak, aka The Movie Jerks.
- Here is the latest Edmonton podcast roundup.
- Meet the Media takes place on April 15 at The Pint downtown. Tickets go on sale tomorrow! If you’re new to Meet the Media, check out Tamara’s overview here.
- New sitcom Delmer & Marta, a spinoff of CAUTION: May Contain Nuts filmed in and around Edmonton, premiered last week on APTN.
- The Edmonton Examiner is looking for a Multimedia Journalist for a 12-week summer intern position.
- Leduc’s 93.1 FM is looking for a Producer.
- The deadline to apply for Venture Publishing’s Assistant Editor position is tomorrow!
- Here’s a feature on Alberta YouTubers, a meetup for local YouTubers to socialize and share skills and tips.
- Edmonton’s newest publishing company is Stonehouse Publishing. They have decided to focus on publishing “historical fiction, especially with a Canadian bent.”
And here is some slightly less local media stuff:
- In her latest social media notes, Linda links to the Snapchat presentation she did at iMEDIA over the weekend. I’m going to have to study this one!
- According to the Wall Street Journal, hedge-fund manager GoldenTree Asset Management LP is “is in preliminary talks to sell its stake in Postmedia Network.” GoldenTree is Postmedia’s biggest shareholder, with a 52% stake.
- Tableau’s March newsletter features data journalism including what to expect from data storytelling in 2016.
- Corus shareholders voted 78.5% in favor of Shaw’s $2.65 billion takeover.
- Interesting change at the New York Times: “James Bennet, the editor credited with revitalizing The Atlantic magazine, will join The New York Times as editorial page director, the company said on Monday, replacing Andrew M. Rosenthal, who is stepping down.”
You can follow Edmonton media news on Twitter using the hashtag #yegmedia. For a great overview of the global media landscape, check out Mediagazer.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!