Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- As mentioned last week, NAIT has received a $400,000 donation from Sportsnet. The money “will fund scholarships as well as support multimedia and digital media training, development and production at NAIT.”
- Congratulations to CBC Edmonton on winning four RTDNA Awards on Saturday. Janice Johnston, Andrea Huncar, Marion Warnica, and Rod Kurtz all won awards. CTV Edmonton and Global Edmonton (and Bob Layton) also picked up one award each. You can see the full list here.
- Jordan Hertner is the newest member of the CTV Edmonton team – her first day was today. She was formerly with Shaw TV.
- Ryan Jespersen has featured a couple media folks recently. On Thursday he spoke with Global Edmonton’s Gord Steinke about the return to Fort McMurray and how Global tells the story, and today he spoke with Claire Martin.
- The Yards is currently running a reader survey. Let them know how they can serve you better!
- Episode 43 of the Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast features Jeff Samsonow of the edmontonian media co. talking about how to ask good questions.
- Also be sure to check out the latest podcast and blog roundups.
- Global Edmonton’s Carole Anne Devaney has had enough of trolls and blogged a response to them. “What those internet trolls seem to forget is that there’s much more to Carole Anne Devaney than what they see between 6 and 7 pm.”
- Former Edmonton Journal feature writer Elizabeth Withey won an Alberta Literary Award recently, one of six Edmontonians to do so. Congrats!
- Elise Campbell is the new community manager at Capital Ideas Edmonton. Congrats!
- Here’s a recap of a CAJ session on striking out on your own featuring Omar Mouallem, Caitlin Crawshaw, and Taylor Lambert.
- Wednesday is the deadline to apply for the Digital Content Editor position at CKUA.
- Leduc’s 93.1 The One FM is looking for a Program Director and On Air Personality.
- Edmontonians Ryan Stock and Amberlynn Walker were on America’s Got Talent recently and not only made it to the next round, but got a standing ovation from Simon Cowell! But beware, their stunt is disgusting and horrifying.
- Fort McMurray rock station 100.5 Cruz FM was off the air for two and a half days due to the wildfires but they’re back on the air now and were deemed an essential service. “The fire came perilously close to its transmitter near the airport, but caused no harm to it in the end.”
- We sent out the first newsletter last week for Taproot Edmonton! Still lots to be done, but it’s a start.
91.7 The Bounce in the Pride Parade, photo by Richard Le Sueur
And here is some slightly less local media stuff:
- In her latest social media notes, Linda points to the news that Facebook, Twitter, and some other big social networks have pledged to review requests for removing hateful content within 24 hours.
- The Winnipeg Free Press has been experimenting with micropayments and it sounds as though the experiment is going well. The organization has about 8,500 digital-only subscribers and sells about 1,000 articles per day. They’ve sold 265,000 articles since the model launched on July 1 last year.
- CTV’s Canada AM has ended after 43 years and will be replaced by new show “Your Morning” co-hosted by Ben Mulroney and former CBC News anchor Anne-Marie Mediwake.
- CBC is hoping to be seen as “editorial leaders” with new programming and other changes.
- According to a new comScore study, people prefer ads in podcasts over any other digital medium. “The study of 2,000 U.S. respondents ages 18 to 49 found that two-thirds of listeners have acted on ads they heard in a podcast either by researching a product or service or by actually purchasing something they first heard about in an episode.”
- From POLITICO: How Donald Trump Destroyed the Interview.
- From BuzzFeed: “BuzzFeed has terminated a deal with the Republican National Committee to run political advertisements in the fall, the company’s CEO, Jonah Peretti, informed employees Monday morning.”
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!