Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- The latest survey results from Vividata show that across Canada “readership of daily newspapers remains strong with eight out of 10 Canadian adults reading newspapers each week.” Here in Edmonton, the Journal leads the Sun which is followed closely by Metro (PDF). Now that the Journal and Sun are both Postmedia of course, they have a wide lead when combined. No longer are they reading different things though. Here’s essentially the same article in the Journal.
- Stephanie Dubois’ one-year contract with Alberta Primetime has come to an end. She is now pursuing freelancing full-time.
- Cam Tait has joined the Oilers Entertainment Group on a part-time basis as Community Content Co-ordinator (he’ll continue his Edmonton Sun column as well). Here’s his first piece for the Oilers: “We’re entering a new, exciting time in Edmonton, starting with the doors swinging open of the state-of-the-art Rogers Place.”
- Starting Tuesday morning, Lochlin Cross is bringing the Locker Room show back, this time to 95.7 CRUZ FM (he last did the show on The Bear). Co-hosts James White and Grant Johnson will join him from 100.3 The Bear and Hot 107, respectively.
- Here are the latest blog and podcast roundups from Seen and Heard in Edmonton. It may be summer, but there’s still lots of great stuff to read and listen to!
- I was a guest recently on Podcasts with Paul. We talked about blogging, podcasting, and of course, Taproot Edmonton.
- Global Edmonton is looking for a News Promotions, Writer/Producer. “This position is responsible for imaginative and effective news promotion for Edmonton’s #1 News station.”
- Rogers Media is looking for a Promotions Manager to work with SONiC, The Bounce, and World FM.
- The Sherwood Park News is looking for a full-time reporter.
- CFWE 98.5 FM Edmonton now has a sign up at its location on 13245 146 Street.
- Here’s a K97 flashback to 1992 of an Oilers fight song featuring John Sexsmith, Bruce Kenyon, and more.
- Here are 10 questions with Matt Cundill, who was at 100.3 The Bear for eight years from 1994-2002. He’s now consulting and hosting a podcast about radio!
92.5 Fresh FM and 630 CHED at the Heritage Festival
And here is some slightly less local media stuff:
- Here’s a feature on Vox Media’s new Storytelling Studio which aims to better use various digital tools and platforms to better tell large stories. “The Storytelling Studio is establishing that publications and media companies must continue to move beyond the idea of web-page-as-central-hub and instead apply product thinking at the story level to engage readers.”
- Gawker Media founder Nick Denton has filed for Chapter 11 personal bankruptcy protection to prevent Hulk Hogan (and Peter Thiel who is funding the lawsuit) from being able to seize his assets. In a tweet, Denton wrote: “On this bitter day for me, I am consoled by the fact that my colleagues will soon be freed from this tech billionaire’s vendetta.”
- This could be interesting: Joshua Topolsky has raised $5 million to start The Outline, a new digital publication. “The site’s content will focus on three areas: power, as it relates to subjects like politics and business; culture; and the future.”
- Here are 28+ apps that make your journalist’s life easier than ever.
You can follow Edmonton media news on Twitter using the hashtag #yegmedia. For a great overview of the global media landscape, check out Mediagazer.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!