Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- So much for being a winter city. Edmonton’s main tourist information centre has been closed since mid-December and won’t reopen until April. Edmonton Tourism plans to pilot mobile tourism kiosks though, to meet tourists in high traffic areas.
- Should we require new businesses to have parking? This could be a really interesting debate.
- Busy weekend for provincial politics in our city. The Alberta PC’s held a leadership debate while the Alberta Liberals launched their own leadership race.
- Most of Edmonton’s existing transit centres are “20th-century city building” according to Mayor Iveson. It would be great to see more integrated facilities that are friendlier to pedestrians.
- After nine months, the digital announcement boards are finally back online along the LRT. Let’s hope it’s for good, this time.
- According to a new study, Southgate Mall rounds out a list of top five malls with most revenue per square foot in Canada at $1,155/sq ft. “There is actually no question that Edmonton is a retail mecca,” said Diane Brisebois, president of the Retail Council of Canada who conducted the study.
- The University of Alberta is getting ready to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary. “Over the next year, in honour of Canada’s 150th anniversary, we are proudly celebrating the people, achievements and ideas that contributed to the making of a confederation.”
- Team Blue handily won the 2017 Oilers Skills Competition today.
- The Province is seeking input as it prepares Budget 2017. You can share your comments here until February 3.
- If you want to learn how to produce your own solar electricity, mark your calendar for one of these upcoming workships hosted by the City and Social Energy Society of Alberta.
- YEGbyYouth is now accepting submissions for stories!
- The Toronto Blue Jays made a stop in Edmonton this weekend! Here’s a photo gallery from the event.
- For more recent headlines, check out ShareEdmonton.
- Lots of hockey at Rogers Place this week! The Oilers host the Coyotes on Monday, the Panthers on Wednesday, and the Predators on Friday. The Oil Kings host the Victoria Royals on Thursday, the Prince Albert Raiders on Saturday, and the Moose Jaw Warriors on Sunday.
- Of course the big hockey event taking place this week is Quikcard Edmonton Minor Hockey Week, which wraps up on Sunday.
- Opera 101 is coming up on Wednesday at CKUA. Learn all about Edmonton Opera’s upcoming production of Rossini’s Cinderella!
- The Edmonton Whisky Festival takes place on Wednesday at the Delta Edmonton South.
- DECL is starting a book club and the first meeting is Wednesday to discuss the first two chapters of Happy City!
- Dark Matters returns to the TELUS World of Science on Thursday evening. This edition’s theme is GAME ON!
- Briday Fantasy takes place Sunday at the Edmonton Expo Centre.
- Save the date for the next Green Drinks, coming up on February 1.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.