Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- The City of Edmonton’s Naming Committee has approved the name for one of Canada’s first outdoor curated Indigenous art parks: ᐄᓃᐤ (ÎNÎW) River Lot 11∞, pronounced (EE-NU) River Lot 11.
- There’s a major fight brewing over lot splitting in the Greater Hardisty area. Residents are signing restrictive covenants that would prohibit not just lot splitting but also duplexes, row houses, large daycares, and more.
- Farmer Doug Visser is “foregoing the potential for making millions of dollars in order to protect quality farmland and an old-growth forest from suburban growth while creating a permanent gift for Edmonton.” The 93 hectares of land are located in Horse Hill in Edmonton’s northeast.
- Edmonton remembered the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge today with a big event in Churchill Square.
- The Oilers played their final regular season game tonight and defeated the Canucks 5-2. Connor McDavid scored his 100th point and will win the Art Ross Trophy. They’re playing the San Jose Sharks in the first round of the playoffs!
- Team Canada won gold today at the 2017 Ford World Men’s Curling Championship at Northlands!
- Ed Hervey was fired by the Edmonton Eskimos on Friday over “differences in philosophy” and an inability to agree to contract extension terms.
- The nominees for the 2017 Edmonton Music Awards have been announced.
- The old scoreboard in Northlands Coliseum is in “fair condition” and the City is looking for someone to take it off our hands, even for scrap parts.
- Here is Paula Simons on why the City should seriously consider combining the Edmonton Expo Centre and Shaw Conference Centre.
- This month marks the end of classes at the old MacEwan arts campus in the west end as the brand new MacEwan University Centre for Arts and Culture on 104 Avenue is set to open in September. As a result, the City is now accepting RFPs for non-profit groups who want to lease space at MacEwan West.
- From the Edmonton City as Museum Project: Mel Hurtig: A Legacy at the Intersection of Publishing and Politics.
- Do you want to present at Pecha Kucha Night 28? The theme is Canada’s 150th anniversary and all presentations must address this question: “what’s your idea for building a stronger, more inclusive, and more sustainable Canada?”
- Want to join the Edmonton Food Council? The deadline for applications is April 30.
- Brazilian actress and model Greice Santo has accused Daryl Katz of offering her “millions” of dollars and a movie role in exchange for sex. “Katz’s attorneys have accused Cipriani and Santo of attempting to extort $3 million from Katz as the price for keeping quiet,” says the Variety report.
- Warmer weather means that motorcycles are going to be hitting the streets so stay alert! “In 2016, there were 191 motorcycle collisions in Edmonton.”
- Thinking about running for office in the upcoming Municipal Election? The City has posted lots of information for candidates. Nomination Day is Monday, September 18.
- For more recent headlines, check out ShareEdmonton.
Ice District, Edmonton, photo by Jeff Wallace
- The Oilers earned home ice advantage so games 1 and 2 will be at Rogers Place on Wednesday and Friday this week.
- Head over to the Reuse Centre on Tuesday afternoon for the first workshop on 100in1Day, which takes place on June 3 this year.
- Nerd Nite Edmonton #34 takes place on Wednesday at The Needle Vinyl Tavern.
- Thaw at the Shaw, featuring Sum 41 and Papa Roach, takes place at the Shaw Conference Centre on Thursday evening.
- The Northern Lights Music Festival takes place at the Shaw Conference Centre on Friday and Saturday.
- The Edmonton Poetry Festival takes place from April 16 through 23 at various locations throughout the city.
- Tickets are on sale now for the Mayor’s Celebration of the Arts, taking place on May 1. The nominees will be announced this week.
- Heads up! The annual River Valley Clean Up is scheduled for May 7. Of course, you can take the 15 to Clean Challenge at any time!
- Save the date: Nerd Nite Edmonton is hosting its inaugural Speed Dating event on Wednesday, May 10.
- Have a great Easter long weekend!
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Vimy 100 event in Churchill Square, photo by Dean Smith