Local updates from the Media Roundup
Here are a few select updates from today’s Media Roundup:
- This year Boyle McCauley News is celebrating its 40th anniversary. In an interview with CBC Edmonton, editor Paula Kirman says the non-profit newspaper faces “increasing operational costs” and is looking at “all aspects” of how to raise funds. “You just have to be creative in today’s market.” A celebration gala & fundraiser on Saturday, March 9.
- All of Great West Newspapers’ 19 Alberta titles, including Edmonton Prime Times, are now members of the National NewsMedia Council of Canada.
- Tuesday, Feb. 6 was National Weatherperson’s Day, so Global Edmonton’s Phil Darlington spoke with Lesley MacDonald about what it was like to work with Bill Matheson.
- Paper Leaf Design was ranked #12 in Canada in the Design category of Clutch.co’s list of the top agencies in the digital services sector. Other local firms on the list include Lift Interactive, Top Draw, ThinkTANK, and Pixel Army.
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Here are some valentines for journalists.
Media-related updates from elsewhere
And here is some non-local media news that I found interesting this week:
- Jill Abramson, former executive editor of the New York Times, has been accused of plagiarism in her new book Merchants of Truth. In an email to CJR’s Mathew Ingram, she said “the language is too close in some cases and should have been cited as quotations in the text. This, too, will be fixed. I wouldn’t want even a misplaced comma.”
- Patch “may represent the future of local news” says Recode, now that the company is profitable.
- From NiemanLab: Here’s where your new readers are going to come from in 2019
- “As reporters and editors find themselves the victims of layoffs at digital publishers and traditional newspaper chains alike, journalism generated by machine is on the rise,” writes Jaclyn Peiser in the New York Times.
- Joe Schlesinger, described by CBC as “one of Canada’s most beloved and respected journalists,” has died at the age of 90.
Follow Edmonton media news using the hashtag #yegmedia and be sure to check out Mediagazer for the latest media news from elsewhere. You can see past Media Monday Edmonton entries here. If you have a tip or suggestion for future updates, let me know.