Local updates from the Media Roundup
Here are a few select updates from today’s Media Roundup:
- The National Media Awards Foundation has unveiled the finalists for the 42nd National Magazine Awards which will be presented on May 31 in Toronto. Edmonton-based photographer Amber Bracken has been recognized for two photographs.
- Conservative MP Kerry Diotte has settled his defamation lawsuit against The Gateway. The student newspaper posted an apology and retraction.
- Hunter Cardinal, Director of Story at Naheyawin, will emcee the 2019 Edmonton International Cat Festival!
- Edmonton-based filmmaker Raoul Bhatt served as director of photography for the official Emmys Red Carpet Backstage show on Sunday.
- StarMetro Edmonton reporter Omar Mosleh was featured on Episode 72 of the City of Champions podcast.
Media-related updates from elsewhere
And here is some non-local media news that I found interesting this week:
- “In truth, freelance journalism, as a career, is mostly an anachronism,” writes Jacob Silverman at The New Republic. “Given the rock-bottom rates on offer, few writers actually support themselves with full-time freelancing.”
- Amazon is reportedly “on a crusade” to build a video advertising business. Meanwhile, Vox reports that Amazon wants to pay the New York Times and BuzzFeed to expand show it can reach more shoppers outside the US.
- From the Wall Street Journal: In News Industry, a Stark Divide Between Haves and Have-Nots
- From The New Yorker: Jack Dorsey’s TED Interview and the End of an Era. “As Dorsey pivoted from non-answer to non-answer, it was hard not to wonder whether, despite his appearance of media-savvy calm, he wasn’t in over his head.”
- NPR has changed the theme music for Morning Edition for the first time in 40 years, and surprise-surprise, people hate change.
Follow Edmonton media news using the hashtag #yegmedia and be sure to check out Mediagazer for the latest media news from elsewhere. You can see past Media Monday Edmonton entries here. If you have a tip or suggestion for future updates, let me know.