Local updates from the Media Roundup
- The International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) Canada West Conference has cancelled keynote speaker Vivian Krause.
- It’s Time Edmonton (a City Council initiative) asked local media to use active over passive language when reporting on sexual violence, as the former "places blame appropriately on the perpetrators, not the survivors."
- City News reporter Rachelle Elsiufi has a message for Edmonton cameramen: "stop touching me."
- Ever wonder how media cover budget day? Star Alberta editor Alex Boyd tweeted a behind the scenes thread explaining what budget day looks like for journalists and why they are up early, even though the budget isn’t tabled until later in the day.
- Former 630 CHED radio producer Morgan Black celebrated "one of the best jobs in the world" on her last day with the station. She is headed to Global Edmonton to be their new community reporter.
Media-related updates from elsewhere
Here are some non-local media links that I found interesting this week:
- The Google News Initiative has announced the 34 projects receiving funding through its North American Innovation Challenge. Four are Canadian, including projects from the Canadian Press and Torstar.
- LinkedIn has 65 journalists in its growing newsroom, reports CNN. "LinkedIn’s editorial strategy depends on conversations happening on the website itself."
- Facebook has launched its long-rumored News tab, at least for some folks in the United States. "Some, but not all, of the publishers are being paid licensing fees to participate."
- Pretty eye-catching subhead in this story title Dropshipping journalism from CJR: "No one working at Newsweek can tell me why it still exists."
- New York Magazine goes deep on the future of Condé Nast under Anna Wintour and Roger Lynch.
Follow Edmonton media news using the hashtag #yegmedia and be sure to check out Mediagazer for the latest media news from elsewhere. You can see past Media Monday Edmonton entries here. If you have a tip or suggestion for future updates, let me know.