Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- This is the week Council will vote on the 2020 budget adjustments. At last week’s public hearing, community and recreation groups asked for funding while the business community called for restraint.
- Edmonton has been named Canada’s Most Open City for the fourth time. "Edmonton’s overall score was 98.82 per cent, ahead of second-place Winnipeg’s score of 74.94 per cent. The average score for municipalities in the index was 29.4 per cent."
- The Edmonton International Airport has announced that Condor Airlines will offer non-stop service to Frankfurt, Germany starting June 1 for the summer season.
- The City’s 28 photo radar vehicles are now bright neon with the words "DRIVE SAFE" emblazoned on the side.
- The Exhibition Lands plan is moving ahead and the Coliseum will be demolished but when that’ll happen remains unknown.
- After 40 years with Edmonton Fire Rescue, chief Ken Block has resigned to pursue an opportunity in Australia.
- It wasn’t what they were hoping for, but the High Level Line project will move ahead with $85,000 in funding and an endorsement by Council.
- Interstellar Rodeo has announced it will not return in 2020.
- The Alberta Branded gift shop inside the Federal Building is closing. Apparently it hasn’t made any money in five years.
- In Episode 65 of Speaking Municipally we discussed the budget ahead of this week’s vote on the tax increase for 2020.
- Get the latest on Media, Tech, Food, Health Innovation, the Region, Music, Arts, Business, and Council with Taproot Edmonton’s latest roundups.
- Celebrate the Season is on now at the Legislature grounds until Dec. 23. Here’s the performance schedule.
- The new Edmonton Christmas Market is on at ATB Place. It runs every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday until Dec. 21. Here’s some more information about the event.
- The next interVivos mentorship program launch takes place on Tuesday evening at The Pint Off Whyte.
- The Oilers host the Hurricanes on Tuesday and the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
- Homestead Coworking is hosting its holiday party on Thursday afternoon.
- The next Dark Matters takes place at the TELUS World of Science Edmonton on Thursday evening.
- There’s still time to visit Alberta Branded before it closes! They’re hosting a winter market on Friday.
- Shumka’s Nutcracker runs Saturday and Sunday at the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium.
- Metro Cinema is showing Die Hard on Saturday. One of my favorite Christmas movies!
Thanks for reading! Want to support my blog? Buy me a coffee!