Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- More than half of all active cases of COVID-19 in Alberta are in the Edmonton zone.
- City Council has approved Heritage Valley Neighbourhood 14, which some Councillors opposed saying it would contribute to urban sprawl while others said it could help curb sprawl.
- The Integrity Commissioner has determined that Councillor Mike Nickel violated Council’s code of conduct in the spring with a series of social media posts that constituents complained about. Troy and I reluctantly talked all about it on Episode 95 of Speaking Municipally.
- Council has endorsed the seven board members who will serve on the new innovation entity board. Congrats to all – an impressive looking group!
- Though the U-Pass has been paused this fall, Council has approved alternative options to make transit more affordable for students.
- The Oilers 50/50 that broke the internet reached a final total of $14.3 million, with the draw expected to take place this week.
- According to an update from the City on Aug. 13, "94% of the City’s construction projects are tracking on budget, and 84% are on schedule."
- Bayern Munich star Alphonso Davies, from Edmonton, has become "the first Canadian men’s player to win a Champions League title." Here’s his victory tweet.
- The 2020 CFL season has been cancelled, but Edmonton Football Team CEO Chris Presson said that won’t have any effect on the team’s rebranding efforts.
- Administration will prepare a bylaw to implement a city-wide parking ban to help with enhanced snow clearing this winter, though changes in behaviour due to the pandemic might make that unnecessary.
- Get the latest on Media, Tech, Food, Health Innovation, the Region, Music, Arts, Business, and Council with Taproot Edmonton’s latest roundups.
The vast majority of upcoming events have been cancelled or postponed. If you’re unsure, just stay home – especially if you’re feeling sick.
Most of Taproot’s weekly roundups have a curated selection of virtual events.
Thanks for reading! Want to support my blog? Buy me a coffee!