Tonight, Avenue Edmonton unveiled their latest cohort of Top 40 Under 40 honorees at the Royal Alberta Museum. This is the eighth year that the magazine has recognized amazing young Edmontonians doing great things in our city.
“Really, the fact that each annual list features so many people with new perspectives, ideas and causes is a tribute to how Edmonton incubates those who like to strike out on their own. We are a city of entrepreneurs and people unencumbered by worrying about what others think of us.”
“This year’s class is another exciting and eclectic mix of business leaders, philanthropists, doctors, scientists, fashionistas, artists and visionaries. They’ve all accomplished great things before they’ve hit their 40th birthdays. We can’t wait to see what they will do next.”
After including everyone on the cover last year, the magazine returns in 2016 to featuring a single honoree, Sylvia Soo:
Here’s the Top 40 for 2016 and where you can find them online (in alphabetical order):
- Dr. Iyad Al-Qishawi, Co-owner, Smiles Dental Group
- Mandy Archibald, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Artist
- Dr. Justin Balko, Primary Care Networks Edmonton Area Lead
- Raoul Bhatt, CEO, Bhatt.ca Inc.
- Brook Biggin, Community Education Facilitator, HIV Edmonton
- Gabriela Constantinescu, Speech language pathologist, PhD candidate
- April Dean, Executive Director, Society of Northern Alberta Print-artists (SNAP)
- Meghan Dear, CEO, Localize
- Jason Ding, Program Director, TEC Edmonton Health Accelerator
- Cynthia Dovell, Principal, Avid Architecture
- Salima Ebrahim, Executive Director, Banff Forum
- Dr. Cameron Elliott, Neurosurgery Resident, Li Ka Shing Centre for Health Research & Innovation
- Mikey Hamm, Writer, support worker
- Lisa Holmes, Mayor, Town of Morinville & President, AUMA
- Mark Hoosein, COO, Capital Region Housing Corporation
- Elaine Hyshka, Assistant Professor, School of Public Health, University of Alberta
- Jacqueline Jacek, Founder/cocoanista, Jacek Chocolate Couture
- Miranda Jimmy, Co-founder, Reconciliation In Solidarity Edmonton
- Dr. J. Lauren Johnson, Psychologist, Therapeutic Filmmaking Institute & Cross Cancer Institute
- Shawn Kanungo, Senior Manager, Deloitte
- Kyla Kazeil, Co-owner, The Common, The Bamboo Ballroom
- Conor Kerr, Aboriginal Liaison Specialist for Enoch, Alexander & Paul Child & Family Services
- Hameed Khan, Lead, Health & Health Care Initiatives, Alberta Innovates Health Solutions
- Manwar Khan, Business User Acceptance Testing Coordinator, Ministry of Alberta Human Services
- Nola Kilmartin, Senior Urban Planner and Designer, Kennedy
- Tamara Kulyk, Youth Director, Edmonton Clansmen Rugby Club Manager
- Kory Mathewson, Performer, Rapid Fire Theatre
- Amber Niemeier, Director, Communications and Advocacy YWCA Edmonton
- Robert Oswell, Chairman & CEO, Roswell Global Inc.
- Jen Panteluk, President & CEO at Junior Achievement of Northern Alberta & NWT
- Kairi Pawlick, Senior Associate, Community Development Engineer, Stantec Consulting Ltd.
- Travis Peter, Smart City & Innovation Manager, City of St. Albert
- Qasim Rasi, Director, Strategic Markets, ATB Financial
- Bukola Salami, Assistant Professor, University of Alberta Faculty of Nursing
- Zia Saleh, Learning Without Borders
- Shoma Sinha, Research Professional, Quantiam Technologies
- Sylvia Soo, Owner/Designer, Sylvia Soo Leather
- Kristy Trinier, Curator, Art Gallery of Alberta
- Maigan van der Giessen, Creative Lead & Education Coordinator, John Humphrey Centre for Peace and Human Rights
- Lisa Workman, Exercise Specialist, Edmonton Southside Primary Care Network
Congratulations to everyone who was recognized this year! I look forward to learning more about this new group of Top 40 alumni. You can read the November 2016 issue online here.
There were five judges who worked to determine this year’s cohort:
- Trudy Callaghan, Avenue Edmonton Associate Publisher
- Carolyn Campbell, Deputy City Manager, Communications & Engagement, City of Edmonton
- Ken Crocker, Assistant Dean, Advancement at University of Alberta School of Business
- David Jones, Sergeant, Edmonton Police
- Dave Mowat, CEO, ATB Financial
Nominations for 2017 are open here and the deadline to nominate someone is April 30, 2017. Keep an eye on this page for updates. You can also follow Avenue Edmonton on Twitter.
Want to see who made the list in past years? Check out my posts from 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.