Here is my latest update on local media stuff:
- Venture Publishing will be launching an online business radio station in September. President & CEO Ruth Kelly told the Journal: “Web-delivered radio is, I think, a really effective and efficient way to provide more niche-oriented content like business radio.” Stay tuned here.
- In case you missed it, I’ve launched a new podcast with Graham Hicks called Mack & Cheese. Thanks to everyone for the initial feedback. We’re excited to see where this goes!
- Des Spence and Cam Kjellbotn, who have eight decades of local TV experience between them, are retiring from Global Edmonton. Amazing!
- Here’s a feature on Peter Brown by Trent Wilkie, and here’s a feature on Bob Stauffer by Cam Tait.
- Looks like Rick Mercer was in town, making a stop at Tres Carnales over the weekend!
- Congratulations to Global Edmonton’s Tim Spelliscy who recently received the Diamond Jubilee Medal.
- The Alberta Media Network has a new Facebook page.
- Global Edmonton’s Trish Kozicka is experimenting with Vine, Twitter’s new video service.
- Funny how timing works out on things like this. I had a coffee meeting a few nights ago and learned about Eric Neville’s Popcorn Playhouse, and wouldn’t you know it, Vintage Edmonton has a video of the show.
- Avenue Edmonton is looking for an art intern – you’ve got until Friday to apply. Odvod Media is looking for a writer/editor.
- This is old news probably, but I didn’t realize that Aquila Productions was doing a third season of Oil Change until recently. Anyone watch?
- Here’s Linda Hoang and Daryl McIntyre tweeting each other during a recent news meeting. Is it just me or does that table look gigantic?
- CJCD Mix 100 in Yellowknife became the first radio station in the NWT to broadcast an NHL game when it carried the Oilers vs. Blue Jackets on Sunday. “The new addition to the Oilers Radio Network cements the relationship between the Oilers and their fans in the north, which was taken to a new level back in 2007, when the team staged another historic event by becoming the first NHL team to stage a Rookie Camp in Yellowknife, a community located just 500 kilometres from the Arctic Circle.”
- It’s that time of year again – here is the 2013 edition of Valentines for Journalists.
- I’m very jealous to hear that Jay Rosen was in town speaking to the Edmonton Journal newsroom last week! Here’s a related link.
— Brittney Le Blanc (@britl) February 7, 2013
- Here is a “major update” on Leduc’s new radio station 93.1 The One. Sounds like transmitter construction is underway! They’ve also added Jenn Dalen to the team.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!