Here are some Edmonton-related things I found interesting this week:
- Last weekend wasn’t great for weather – it was windy, cold, and we had our first snow of the year!
- According to the latest Forbes list, the Oilers are the 20th most valuable team in the NHL at $175 million – slightly more than what Daryl Katz paid for the team.
- Molson Canada and developer Anthem Properties announced a plan this week to transform the old Molson brewery into a mixed-use project with housing, retail, restaurants, and office space.
- The University of Alberta now ranks second in the country in terms of attracting research funding.
- Edmonton is the last big city in North America to have wards represented by two councillors. This week, a proposal was put forward to change that. It could go into effect by the 2010 election if approved.
- The Expo 2017 bid looks set to go ahead, as city council agreed to spend $2.3 million on the project.
- We had a bunch of great tech events in the city this week: DemoCampEdmonton4, EdmontonTweetup3, and an EDMUG Geek Dinner. At DemoCamp, we announced Edmonton Code Camp, taking place on November 29th.
- Next week is the CIPS ICE Technology conference. It runs from November 3rd until the 5th at the Shaw Conference Centre.