What do you remember most about the past year in Edmonton? I think I’ll look back on 2008 as the year that I started to fully appreciate everything that our city has to offer. I learned a lot about Edmonton this year, and I look forward to learning even more in the years to come. Hopefully I can have a positive impact on the city as well!
Obviously a topic as large as an entire city is impossible to recap, but that doesn’t stop everyone from trying. Makes for interesting reading, right?
Here are some Edmonton-related year in review articles from around the web:
- Top Ten City of Edmonton 2008 Highlights – edmonton.ca
- The Top News Stories 2008 – edmontonjournal.com
- 2008: The Year In Review – vueweekly.com
- Events that shaped Edmonton in ‘08 – metronews.ca
- City looks back at 2008 – edmontonexaminer.com
- Edmonton Tech in 2008 – blog.mastermaq.ca
- Year In Review 2008: Alberta MLA Edition – daveberta.blogspot.com
- 2008 Municipal Census Results – edmonton.ca
- 2007-08 Edmonton Oilers Season – en.wikipedia.org
- 2008-09 Edmonton Oilers Season – en.wikipedia.org
- 2008 Edmonton Eskimos Season – en.wikipedia.org
- 2008 Edmonton Rush Season – en.wikipedia.org
- 2008 Rexall Edmonton Indy – en.wikipedia.org
- Crime in Edmonton dropped 9% in 2008 – edmontonsun.com
- Year In Review – seemagazine.com
- The Great Buzz Of Oh-Eight – seemagazine.com
- Epicureous in Edmonton: 2008 Year in Review – onlyhereforthefood.ca
- Edmonton, we have a problem – metronews.ca
- Homicide 2008: Life and death on Edmonton’s streets – lastlinkontheleft.com
- Past year boasts notable campus news stories, makers – thegatewayonline.ca
- December cooled a warm ’08 – edmontonjournal.com
- Edmonton Real Estate Market Annual Report – edmontonrealestateblog.com
- 2008 Edmonton housing starts lowest in 13 years – edmontonjournal.com
Know of another list or article that I missed? Leave a comment or email me and I’ll add it.
Now for a list of my own! Here are the 5 most popular Edmonton-related posts on my blog from the past year:
- Big Earl 96.3 is now Capital FM
- The Apple Store opens in West Edmonton Mall
- Edmonton is home to the future of Future Shop, and very close behind that, A look at Edmonton’s new Future Shop
- Use Google Maps to find Edmonton Transit schedules and trip plans
- New Concept for Edmonton Arena in The Quarters Downtown
All of those posts were written in 2008. If I had included the popular ones written in 2007 and earlier, four of the five would be related to Edmonton radio stations. Work at a radio station, particularly a NewCap radio station? You need to improve your web presence!
These three were close to making the list also:
- Social Media and Local News in Edmonton
- Scared of social media? Follow Batman’s lead
- Touring the Edmonton Transit D.L. MacDonald LRT Garage
Finally, here are some facts and figures from 2008 that I’ll likely want to refer to again at some point:
- Population of Edmonton: 752,412 (source)
- Edmonton Oilers record (calendar year): 42-31-5
- Capital EX attendance: 743,374 (source)
- Homeless Count: 3079 (source)
- Number of homicides: 35 (source)
If you have another fact or figure for the list, leave a comment or email me.
I’m looking forward to a wonderful 2009, thanks for reading!