Welcome to the ninth State of the Calgary Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Calgary. You can see last month’s stats here.
The source of the data this month is the same as last, primarily Twitter Search but also from Twitter directly. If a user has his or her location set to Calgary, Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered a Calgarian.
For November 2009:
# of local users: 7468 (an increase of 185 from October)
To clarify, that means there were 7468 users who posted at least one tweet in November 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Calgarian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Calgary users without their location set or that were not captured for some other reason.
Here are the rest of the stats for November 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 314583
# of tweets by local users containing #yyc: 8078 (2.6%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 101430 (32.2%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 83106 (26.4%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 19614 (6.2%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 10867 (3.5%)
I think the retweet number might be a little off, due to the new retweet functionality on Twitter.com, but it’s close. Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Here are the ten users who posted the most locally tagged tweets (#yyc, #yyctraffic, #Calgary, etc.; most tweets first): WeatherCalgary, C_DIG, a_picazo, stuartrcrawford, ThankASoldier, studiotodorovic, cityofcalgary, aldjohnmar, alexflint, donnamct
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): izzynobre, ProtruckR, SalBarguil, gengenw, alex_ruiz, Kristinnuendo, a_picazo, that_angela, CalgaryCP, workmanrw
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): that_angela, alex_ruiz, alexflint, ang_J, carmenincalgary, C_DIG, gotkube, jonincalgary, myownbiggestfan, calgaryfitness
- Just under 51% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 7.3 tweets per minute in November, compared with 6.7 per minute in October.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was November 27th at 12799. On average, 10486 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 9630 in October).
- Of the 101430 replies posted by local users this month, 24933 or 24.6% were to other local users.
- A total of 1296 users posted 50 times or more in November. In comparison, 1123 users posted just once.
Edmonton is catching up, but Calgary broke the 300,000 tweets in a single month barrier first! There were just 9 days in November with less than 10,000 local tweets posted. This is the second straight month that user growth in Edmonton has been larger too, though not by very much.
Since March, I have identified just over 17,600 local users. The number above, 7468, is how many of them were active in November.
December and 2009 year in review stats are coming soon!
2 thoughts on “State of the Calgary Twittersphere – November 2009”