Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Edmonton’s Catalyst Theatre is taking its acclaimed productions to London and New York!
- Here’s the latest issue of Profile Edmonton, in which Bob Black of the Katz Group calls the proposed downtown arena “the first step in the development of a walking culture.”
- If you really want to talk about a walkable downtown, check out the new Capital City Downtown Plan, which is nearing completion. There’s an open house taking place at City Hall on April 8 (on ShareEdmonton).
- Nominations are now open for the 2010 edition of Avenue Edmonton’s Top 40 Under 40.
- The City is considering an estimated $27.4 million upgrade to Scona Road between Saskatchewan Drive and the Low Level Bridge.
- Crews are now working to sweep streets and fix potholes. If you want to report a pothole, you can call 311 or fill out the online form here.
- The Art Gallery of Alberta has announced six summer exhibitions, the first of which opens May 29.
- Edmonton Fire Rescue services is accepting firefighter applications until April 16.
- Vue Weekly’s Golden Fork Awards are back. You can fill out the entry form here by May 2.
- The world’s largest aircraft, the Antonov AN-225, was in Edmonton this week to transport a load of helicopters and other supplies to Afghanistan. If you’re on Facebook, you can see EIA’s photo album here.
- The City exercised its emergency powers this week and suspended the business license of Gingur Sky Bar & Grill for 14 days.
- Though the election is still many months away, more and more candidates will be announcing their intentions in the coming weeks. Councillor Sohi is running again, in Ward 12.
- The St. Albert Cultivates the Arts Committee is holding a logo competition for the St. Albert Arts Festival.
- You can provide input on the Northwest LRT here.
- In case you missed it: Here are the TEC VenturePrize Semi-Finalists for 2010. The awards luncheon takes place on April 15 (on ShareEdmonton).
- The Food Bank’s Expressions of Hunger contest is no longer accepting entries, but you’ll soon be able to vote for your favorites online.
- Coming up on Tuesday & Wednesday: open houses for The Way We Live (on ShareEdmonton).
An under construction shot of the new Epcor Tower: